Evinrude 9.9 HP cover/hood - need a replacement

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not sure what the name of the cover is that one can remove easily to access the engine itself. It serves the same purpose as a hood on a car only more like the hood and fenders. Anyway, Hurricane Sandy that hit NJ in late October put a large White Pine, multiple trunks, down on my tool/toy parking area. Among the causalities was the cover to my Evinrude 9.9 HP engine (1995 vintage). I have not closely inspected, but it appears that the damage was limited to cracks in the plastic (fiberglass-what is the cover made of, not metal on my engine) cover/hood. It was not broken off of the engine, just several large crack - I may be able to put some glue on the exposed edges and force them back into alignment with their original position. Still it would be nice to have the option of purchasing a new cover/hood.

Edit: sorry I didn't see anything in the pull down menu, but I see the "similar threads" listed may offer an answer, I'll look

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 9.9 HP cover/hood - need a replacement

Doesn't look like their available from the dealer anymore. Iboats doesn't carry them. Your going to have to buy a cowl through ebay or a marine salvage yard.

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 9.9 HP cover/hood - need a replacement

Thanks, I'll do some looking in the NJ area for boat salvage businesses. We're not California (thank god) but we too have a lot of water around. I'd guess the small OB business is a very small part of the boating scrap, we've got a lot of private ocean liners around that dominate the boat business. Of course the fundamentally transformed America may end up with more OBs and fewer liners.

The truth is I"m an old guy who takes too good of care of his "Stuff", the outcome? Everything I have (including my wife) is old. Then something out of my control, high winds (hurricane Sandy) come by and drop White Pine trees like tooth picks and hit some of my old toys.

The Evinrude is my second small OB, I had a Johnson before that, which came on my 1985 Grumman fishing boat, also damaged. It may be it is just time to give up on a fishing boat or buying something newer. The reason I don't still have the Johnson? I followed the marketing hip put out by Johnson (OMC) back in 1985: This engine can run 75:1 gas/oil, true, but for only about 300 hours.

Something I've never adjusted to; when I buy something new it is always new (during my lifetime) - so the idea that my second 1995 OB is too old for parts comes as a shock. I still have about 100 hours of chain saw work to do before I can really get my boat and motor free from the tangle. But, I think the boat may be repairable for under $1,000 (worth it? don't know, that's getting into the cost range of a use replacement is newer and nicer) and the OB may get by with a patch up of the engine cover.

I understand iboat stores these threads and I can look back in the future by doing a search or better by going to my profile and look through threads I started. I consider this input a "keeper" and that's how I'll keep it, memory assumed to last a while longer.