1988 120 Johnson ignition coil broke now boat won't run.

Aikendaddy

Recruit
While running the boat up the lake sat. I noticed something miss in the motor. We started trolling and the boat shut off. The boat would not restart. I pulled the cover off and was surprised to find one of the plug in ignition coil broken. The cover was slit back down to where you can see the copper wiring. I replaced the coil but the motor still will not start. Could something else have been affected?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 120 Johnson ignition coil broke now boat won't run.

Get an open air gap spark tester, set it to 7/16 " and see what you have for spark.

Aikendaddy

Recruit

I will get a tester and check. But I think I might be on to something. As I mentioned I replaced The one broken coil. I have made sure that my battery is fully charged. I tried today to start the motor And it spun then fired. I tried this a couple of times. Letting the boat set for 10 min or so in-between tries. What I see now is fuel leaking out around the primer solenoid when I spin the motor over. The red arrow is in the RUN position and not the manual? Is this common. I don't think it has been doing this in the past. Are the carbs flooding out? How do I correct this?

jemesiz

Cadet

I have a 120 Johnson with similar problems. Have you had any luck with it?

Take the silencer cover off and pump the fuel line primer bulb continuously even after it has gone solid and check to see if any of the carbys have fuel flowing out of them... you may need to check you float settings or the float valve may have debris in it.

The primer solinoid red arrow is pointing downwards on mine.

A faulty coil may damage the switch box. Do you know what damaged the coil... overheating??