Wires came off of choke switch 1975 Johnson 50 HP

gottjoe

Cadet
After verifying that my choke solenoid is working properly on its own with direct power from the spare battery I'm using for testing, I opened the remote control box and found that no wires (broke off or fell out) were connected to the choke switch. The switch has three places (holes) that wires can insert into. I have a dual pole momentary switch I'd like to put in place, but I don't know the wiring needed. From what I can tell, and I might be wrong, all that the switch does when it's on is complete the ground and triggers the solenoid. I can't find what wire in the control panel supplies the power to the solenoid. I've tried it with the key on and off. At this point, I can only operate the choke outside of the remote control via the spare battery that I am using for testing.

Any ideas?

Joe (Still a newbie)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wires came off of choke switch 1975 Johnson 50 HP

Perhaps a new type ignition switch has been installed? If so, a Purple/White wire will be attached to the "C" terminal of the ignition switch, perhaps some different colored wire if the purple/white was not available.

In which case, with the key in the RUN or START position, pushing the key inwards causes the choke solenoid to engage.

Let us know what you find.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I'm not clear on what you are trying to do. Are you trying to connect to the key switch or to a remote momentary switch? Sounds to me as though you are trying to connect to a seperate switch and not the key switch.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

#1....The motor came with a separate choke switch mounted directly below the key switch. However, it is entirely posible that somebody replaced the key switch with a push-to-choke switch as already suggested. Try it to see if the key will push in and operate the choke.

#2....OK, assuming the key switch has not been replaced, a purple wire from the key switch "A" or "ACC" terminal feeds the choke switch. A second purple wire goes back to feed the motor. The other end of the choke switch has a purple/white stripe wire going to the choke. It is a spring-loaded toggle switch, N.O. (Normally open). Operating the choke switch (with key turned on) sends 12V back to the choke.

Attachments

• Wiring 1974-76  Remote Control.jpg
    Wiring 1974-76 Remote Control.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 1

gottjoe

Cadet

The choke switch has three holes to receive wires. The hokes are marked A, C and possibly B in the middle of A and C. The B hole had part of a grey wire sticking out of it. The other holes are empty. I've been trying to get my choke to work without having to take the motor lid off each time and do it manually. During troubleshooting, I tested the solenoid first to see if it worked. I applied ground to the engine frame, and power to the purple/yellow connector at the terminal on the motor. I was able to activate the solenoid on demand. I then took apart the remote control and found the choke switch (mounted right under the key ignition switch) had no wires attached to it. My owners manual says to hold the switch while turning the key, and then releasing it when the motor starts. So I've been trying to figure out the wiring. I have three wires not connected to anything: white(grey), purple, and black. The choke switch doesn't really appear to be a switch at all since nothing moves on it (no knob to move at all. just stiff rubber).

This is why I mentioned that the choke acts like all it needs is a momentary switch that returns to off when released. But the momentary switch I bought from an auto parts store only has two poles, and there are three loose wires as mentioned. Putting the old switch back in place is not an option.

Today I tried to figure what the wires do. I know the black is ground, and the purple must send power to the solenoid somehow but I can't figure it out. I tried a few combinations and kicked the motor with the key pushed in to see if the choke solenoid moved. It did not. Now I think I crossed some wires and possibly fried something since the ignition no longer does anything and the motor doesn't kick at all. I checked the battery, and it had 1/3 power left so I have it charging now. I'm hoping it's a temporary thing with the battery, and not something else. Reality tells me otherwise though. I'm probably taking the whole thing to the shop to pay for my crime of trying to fix it myself.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I don't know what you have in there for a choke switch, but the correct switch is a bat-handle toggle switch that has a spring to return it to the off position when you release it. Holding it up while cranking chokes the motor. Releasing it lets the choke open.

The picture I posted should very clearly show how the wires go.

Be careful with monkeying with the wires. You can fry something all right---the $$$$power pack.

gottjoe

Cadet

I don't know what the so called "switch" actually is, but nothing moves on it from a toggle perspective. I'll check to see if I can get the motor to kick later this morning to see what damage I might have done. Hopefully it's good to go. If not, it's off to the mechanic on Friday.

I appreciate all of your help!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The choke switch has three holes to receive wires. The hokes are marked A, C and possibly B in the middle of A and C. The B hole had part of a grey wire sticking out of it. The other holes are empty.

The description that you give as quoted above..... If what you are looking at is a rubber plug, either located directly below the ignition switch of a white OMC control box OR attached to the main electrical harness if using a console type control lever.... this has absolutely nothing to do with the electric choke. That is a plugin connection for a tachometer.

F_R and I have explained the two electrical setups used to have the electric choke function... pick one.

gottjoe

Cadet

Ah! That makes sense. The owners manual has it shown as a switch. After I crossed wires, I found an inline fuse that blew. I replaced it, and now the motor kicks. So I'm back to my original starting point.

I have tried pushing in the key while turning the ignition to start. The choke does not respond.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I have tried pushing in the key while turning the ignition to start. The choke does not respond.

I'm assuming that the choke solenoid does function when you apply 12v directly to it. I am also assuming that the ignition switch does have the key push in function and that it has 6 terminals, one of which is labeld "C" for choke. If so.........

Check that with the key in the RUN or START position, 12v is present at the "C" terminal of the ignition switch. Then run a wire from the choke solenoid to that "C" terminal.