Johnson Sea Horse 7.5, Model AD-11, starts but wont run.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson Sea Horse 7.5, Model AD-11, starts but wont run.

It is greatly exagerated in a barrel, wont be anywhere near as bad on the water. They are all like that in a barrel. Ensure the low speed needle is tuned and not running too rich.

Willyclay

Captain

It WAS REALLY smoky though. I think we mixed the fuel a tad leaner than it said on the tank...I want to say its at 24:1 right now. But it was thick smoky, I'm thinking of leaning it out atleast to 32 or 50:1. Any recommendations on that? Thanks again for ALL the help guys! I'm ordering a rebuilt kit tonight for the tank.

Full synthetic TCW3 outboard oil will reduce the smoke some. Good work on the troubleshooting!

tmas suzuki

Cadet

Woo hoo! Took her out today for a test run and a little fishin. It was only 20 degrees out and motor took a shot of starting fluid to fire up. Once she started boy did she purrrrrrr. We were able to troll very slowly and it maintained a very smooth slow idle. With the fishing gear out it pushed my 16' glasspar a whoppin 7 mph.
You guys were definately correct about the smoke issue, thanks again! It was still a bit smoky I might try finding quality synthetic tcw3 oil locally and try that out on the next tank.
I'm sure excited about this motor. Paid $40 for it, put in New spark plugs, New spark boot, and a fuel tank rebuild kit and she's runnin like a champ. Not to mention how classy she looks on the back of my old glaspar...might consider doing a paint restoration project this winter!

64osby

Admiral

nwcove

Admiral

Woo hoo! Took her out today for a test run and a little fishin. It was only 20 degrees out and motor took a shot of starting fluid to fire up. Once she started boy did she purrrrrrr. We were able to troll very slowly and it maintained a very smooth slow idle. With the fishing gear out it pushed my 16' glasspar a whoppin 7 mph.
You guys were definately correct about the smoke issue, thanks again! It was still a bit smoky I might try finding quality synthetic tcw3 oil locally and try that out on the next tank.
I'm sure excited about this motor. Paid $40 for it, put in New spark plugs, New spark boot, and a fuel tank rebuild kit and she's runnin like a champ. Not to mention how classy she looks on the back of my old glaspar...might consider doing a paint restoration project this winter!

avoid the starting fluid or you will cause your new toy to suffer a slow death. jmo

tmas suzuki

Cadet

ts - Very cool, great to see another motor back on the water. Enjoy.

20 degrees fishing???? I don't think I could tie knots. Hard enough to keep my hands warm enough to hunt.

Ya, 20 degrees is cold, but sure gets me excited for ice fishing! It's lots easier to troll around in 20 degrees than duck hunting putting out and retrieving decoys in 20 degrees IMO :)

avoid the starting fluid or you will cause your new toy to suffer a slow death. jmo

Really??? Wow thanks for the tip. I never would have guess a quick shot of starting fluid in each air tube would cause any harm. I'm hoping now that she's started and run for a few hours it will be easier to cold start in the future. After the initial startup even after sitting for an hour or so it started first pull so i'll keep my fingers crossed that is standard now.