1963 18 hp johnson outboard "clutch dog"

17ft'r

Seaman
Hi all, I have the above motor with the habit of (poping) out of gear.
I have above average (mechanical abilities) and no brains.
My question is: Can a "shade tree" mechanic change one of these "clutch dogs" without making things worse?

Thanks in advance,

17ft'r

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 1963 18 hp johnson outboard "clutch dog"

I believe so. The hard part will be finding a good affordable part to replace it with.

17ft'r

Seaman

So it seems there is more than 1 manufacture of these parts and thats the problem.
Sounds like it might be "hard schools of knocks" again. That seems to be the way I end up learning.

Thanks for the info, I'll go from hear.

17ft'r

kfa4303

Banned

Sure you can easily replace it yourself, once you find the part. You simply open the gearcase, remove the gears, slide off the old one and slide on the new one and put it back together. You'll probably need to reseal the lower unit while you're at it as well. You can get a reseal kit right here at iboats for about $25. You 'll also need some 3M 847 gasket sealant, which you may have to order online. The dog itself can be found on sites like ebay.com, marineengine.com, and/or aomcio.org. Here are some handy links.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/fastwin-lower-unit-seal-faq-277190.html

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

It would be cheaper to take the dog and gear to a machine shop and have them re-cut.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Another alternative which I did is to look for a parts motor with a good lower unit. When I did it I believe I only paid $50.00 for the whole motor, removed the lower and then sold the rest to someone else for $25.00.

kbait

Commander

I'd pull apart and inspect the forward gear/clutch dog interface. If the dog 'ears' are rounded at the corners, and the forward gear is just slightly worn, a new clutch dog will likely do the trick. If the 'ears' that interface the reverse gear (on current clutch dog) look pristine, you can just flip the dog and then you'll have a 'new' dog for forward. You don't need the perfect interface on reverse, as you don't apply nearly as much force and it likely won't 'pop' out of reverse. I've done this cheap fix many times on 5.5 - 25hp J/E's w/successful results. The key is having a forward gear that isn't too gummed-up.

Good luck!

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also if you have a Dremmel or an air grinder you can redress the forward gear yourself if the dog is not too far gone,just grind it till the corners are sharp again and undercut them slightly,take care and don't overheat it and lose the temper.I've done this a couple of times and everything is still working.

17ft'r

Seaman

Thanks for the ideas, I'll be sending an update when I get things going.

Again, thanks,

17ft'r