• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

How do I disable the tilt/trim on my Johnson 115 HP motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I disable the tilt/trim on my Johnson 115 HP motor

I have a Johnson 115 HP motor that is equipped with tilt/trim, but it does not work. The motor was checked out and found to be non-functional. I don't know why and I really am not too concerned with it, because we are going to take it off the bass boat it is on and put it on a pontoon, where we will not need the tilt/trim feature. But my question is this: For now, til we decide to swap boats, we want to use it on the bass boat, but the pressure from the pumps I guess will not allow the motor to go down all the way so that the prop is positioned where it needs to be. We tried draining the fluid out of the cylinder on the right side, and lots of fluid came out, but the hydraulic plungers???? (don't know that that is the correct name for them) won't go in anymore to allow the motor to go down any further. Is there anything I can do to release the pressure on those. I just need the motor to go down just one or two more notches.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3e38a0ff2d6be1f4555815cb228b07ce.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	153668

Re: How do I disable the tilt/trim on my Johnson 115 HP motor

what MODEL and what YEAR is the motor?

bob

Comment

On the side of the starboard transom bracket there is hole to access the manual release valve.....
      Ford Falcon FG G6E Turbo
      Quintrex Lazeabout 4.5
      Evinrude 1982 60hp

sigpic

Comment

It is J115TLCIM and J5500390, those are the numbers on the tag.

Comment

So you are another pontoon man who is going to leave the lower in the water. Think about it buddy. The bugs and the water are going to eat the lower unit and the bottom mount. I have this day just power wire brushed an Evin and what a mess.The destruction is amazing. May last another season before the lower swivel mount collapses. I have had several with severe damage. What were these guys thinking and some with working T/Ts.

Comment

We actually don't leave our pontoon in the water, we pull it out. I know, that's a lot of hassle, but better than the $250/month slip fees. If ever we did decide to leave it for a while, we could still manually pull the motor up.

Comment

Name:	c28024947ee220f2068e791664e99191.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	153675
              This is how the motor is resting. It will not go down any further

Name:	acb799564218199bb5c9b9dd601fd5d8.jpg
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	153678
              Here you can see the hydraulic plungers that will not go in to allow the motor to go down any further. In this pic, the motor is up. After the fluid all poured out of the cylinder on the starboard inside of the transom mount, the pressure on the shock in between the cylinder and the motor was released, but not on the two plungers.

Name:	b7f018bb20030b0eda86dabf10069b06.jpg
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	153676
              In this pic, the motor is down, and you can see it is resting on those plungers cause they won't go in.

Name:	5a018c9472689a1aa9752dd1ecc93db2.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	153677
              The hole in the side is where there was a screw I took out, as well as another from the cylinder just inside the transom mount. When I raised and lowered the motor, the fluid all came pouring out, which was what I wanted and thought would release the pressure on those plungers, but it didn't. So, now what???

Comment

I was told it is an 81 model

Comment

In the first picture of the motor you can see the trim position holes above the very first hole (the one for the lowest trim position) about 3 inches up there is a hole about 1/2"-5/8". Inside that hole there should be a manual release screw turn the screw about 2 turns counterclockwise (loosening). You then should be able to manually move the motor up and down, albeit not very easy.

Also the manual release screw is a slot head,at least it is on my '78.
                  1978 Invader 17' Restoration in progress

Admiral Ranger

Comment

That is the hole I loosened the screw in. I actually took it completely out, but it did not release any of the pressure on those plungers. I can move the motor up and down fairly easily now, much more now than before I drained the fluid, but those plungers are still holding the motor up and will not go in. I've looked over everything and cannot figure out how to get them to go in so the motor will go down. I think you can see in the pictures that it is resting at the furthest out position (by looking at the holes). ?????????????

Comment

It might be difficult but the motor should go all the way down with that screw loose. Try pushing on the motor, the trim pistons might be stuck. If that doesn't work there is a large screw on the hydraulic reservoir, that is the fill screw for hydraulic fluid. Remove that and then try pushing the motor down. The hydraulic system is a sealed system, so whenever you are trying to push the motor down you are forcing fluid back into the hydraulic fluid reservoir and the fluid is compressing the air in the reservoir making it difficult.

Hope this helps, Ranger

Admiral Ranger

Comment

is the tilt pin still in the factory position......if so it wont go down any farther

Comment

Originally posted by Rmoore45 View Post
                          It might be difficult but the motor should go all the way down with that screw loose. Try pushing on the motor, the trim pistons might be stuck. If that doesn't work there is a large screw on the hydraulic reservoir, that is the fill screw for hydraulic fluid. Remove that and then try pushing the motor down. The hydraulic system is a sealed system, so whenever you are trying to push the motor down you are forcing fluid back into the hydraulic fluid reservoir and the fluid is compressing the air in the reservoir making it difficult.

Hope this helps, Ranger
                          Thanks for the info Ranger. I already removed the slot head screw that is in the hydraulic reservoir, as well as the screw on the side of the transom mount. I pushed down on the motor as hard as I could, but it would not give a bit. Tried pushing the plungers in, but they won't budge either. Is the trim piston somewhere I can get to it if it is stuck?

Comment

Originally posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
                            is the tilt pin still in the factory position......if so it wont go down any farther
                            The tilt pin is in the 4th hole back, so I don't see that it is holding the motor back. It seems to be those hydraulic plungers that's holding it up. I've got to be missing something somewhere, just not sure where.

Comment

Well since you're not going to use the tilt and trim, on the bottom of the tilt ram (the vertical one not the 2 diagonal rams) there is a little hydraulic line. Take that loose and that should relieve the hydraulic pressure.

If nothing works you can always just remove the entire power tilt and trim assembly. It's just 4 bolts, 1 pin, and some wires.

Admiral Ranger

Comment

Working...
                              X