1988 Evinrude 48 HP SPL backlash test

pontoon781

Cadet
I am replacing all the gears, pinion, forward, reverse and clutch dog (bad pinion and clutch dog) I do not want to buy a 300$ one time use shim measurement tool nor pay the shop $150 to do it for me. (2 kids in college) My question is: Since the goal is minimum gear backlash, Can I just add or remove shims as per the backlash test. That would mean removing the drive shaft bearing carrier every time, but that?s no big deal.
The test being push down on the propshaft, pull up on the drive shaft and turn no more than 3/16? (as I understand it)

Thank you.

wanty9999

Cadet
Re: 1988 Evinrude 48 HP SPL backlash test

I am replacing all the gears, pinion, forward, reverse and clutch dog (bad pinion and clutch dog) I do not want to buy a 300$ one time use shim measurement tool nor pay the shop $150 to do it for me. (2 kids in college) My question is: Since the goal is minimum gear backlash, Can I just add or remove shims as per the backlash test. That would mean removing the drive shaft bearing carrier every time, but that?s no big deal.
The test being push down on the propshaft, pull up on the drive shaft and turn no more than 3/16? (as I understand it)

Thank you.

I bought one from harbor freight tools for less than 25 bucks. I used it on a differential in a truck but mostly relied on marking my adjusters and didnt even need the backlash tool. i say go for it by feel. feel it first and get a good idea (assuming its in good form currently).

cheers

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Evinrude 48 HP SPL backlash test

Nine times out of ten, when replacing gears just go with the shim set that was installed. Your up and down on the drive shaft should be no more than 1/8". And back lash well just make sure you have a tick/tick sound.