johnson 3hp 1964 belguim made questions

vidaliaman

Seaman
just picked up a Johnson 3hp Belgium made JH 19A outboard, what are the thoughts on this motor? how does the cooling cool itself? how do i check the impeller?

thanks dave
michigan

vidaliaman

Seaman
Re: johnson 3hp 1964 belguim made questions

that is very helpful, looking at the diagram i can see the impeller however where does it pump the water to and where does it spit out, sorry for my ignorance, kind of new in the outboard restoration business

thanks dave

bpollock

Cadet

best to remove the lower case and inspect the impeller, the water pickup is the slots on the side of the lower case, replacing the impeller is good practice because they get brittle and will break apart, if this happens you must be sure to remove all pieces that may clog any of the water passages. I don't recall if the discharged water is through the exghost or out a (pee hole) on the rear of the shaft

kbait

Commander

Water sprays out w/exhaust gasses through the 6 holes in rear exhaust housing above waterline to indicate flow... most all cooling water exits w/exhaust at exhaust port underwater. May still be functioning if no water coming out indicator ports at low idle.. check head temp while idling to be sure.

vidaliaman

Seaman

the guy i bought it from said he just replaced the impeller, so i checked and it looks brand new, does the exhaust housing have to fill up with water before it will spit out? could it be because i am running it in a barrel it doesn't pick up the water as well?

thanks dave

Last edited:

bpollock

Cadet

be sure the water level is above the impeller , yes you should see water discharge

bpollock

Cadet

if no luck with water level, remove lower case , with a garden hose force water through the water tube (where the impeller pumps into the engine ) water should exit the discharge , if not check for blockage,, if ti does discharge check these (page 10 from the link above) #6 impeller pin, #23 water garment and also the #4 plate for proper alignment.

bpollock

Cadet

you are welcome Dave,I i take it that your problem is solved

Fishing4Walleyes

Seaman Apprentice

I Have found that the disturbance from the prop can reduce the amount of water available to be pumped by the motor when running in my small barrel so I remove the prop when barrel running mine.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Sounds like your cooling problem is solved.
These engines do NOT use a 1:50 mix, it is 1:24.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Those are nice little motors. You'll get good use out of that. I think 16:1 is actually better, since there are no needle bearings in them, whatsoever. Oil is the cheapest thing you'll ever put in an outboard. No sense skimping on it.