Recoil starter question on '59 10hp Johnson (video)

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Right off the bat let me admit that up until 2 months ago I had never worked on an outboard. I'm very much a novice but am trying to learn. I have a 10 hp 1959 Seahorse that I'm bringing back from the dead. The recoil starter seems a bit harder to pull than others I've seen on Youtube. The flywheel was stuck when I got it. I got it loose putting some oil in the cylinders. I rebuilt the carb and installed new condensers and points. Compression is 55 and 60. It'll start now, but runs rough. I still need to adjust the needles and I'm having tons of smoke from burning off the oil.

My question is whether the resistance from the crankshaft turning the rods and pushing the pistons up and down is sufficient to make pulling the rope kinda resistant and jerky. As the flywheel turns around it seems to hit a easy spot, which allows easier pulling on the rope, and then hits a very resistant section, which makes it hard to pull, all of which combined makes for a jerky full pull of the rope. Any suggestions on how to smooth things out? Is this a very normal condition? See video below. Thanks for any help.

1959 10hp Johnson outboard starter demo - YouTube

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Recoil starter question on '59 10hp Johnson (video)

Looks fairly normal to me. The lumpiness you feel in the flywheel, and while pulling the cord is mostly the compression in the cylinders fighting you.

That's not to say there couldn't also be some rust spots in the cylinders from the motor sitting. You did after all have to oil up the cylinders to get the motor un-stuck. Pull your spark plugs out, and look down the cylinders for rust spots while you rotate the flywheel.

Since you are reviving this motor, have you checked out this thread on iboats?;
http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...kening-sleeping-outboard-boatbuoy-158086.html

Most important thing is making sure there is a fresh impeller in the engine so that it doesn't overheat, and the fuel system is up to snuff so it doesn't run lean and burn up. Get it all spruced up, run it at 20:1, and she will be your new best friend for a very long time. ;)

Rick.

Captain

I put in a set of coils on a 6hp this summer and had one coil a little too proud of it's boss and it was hitting the flywheel ever so slightly but enough to cause the throttle setting to jump around. You could check that. Also, try pulling the plugs and giving it a pull. The difference in feel between plugs in and out will be compression. It does seem to have a loud rattle but I've no idea where that comes from. Best of luck. Rick.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

As stated above, pull the plugs and try again. If you still feel the resistance areas it is time to dig deeper. That being said though, looks from the video to be good normal compression. You would have more of a problem if you didnt feel that THUMP THUMP

Had the coils already been replaced?

nwcove

Admiral

it looks normal to me also. the noise sure sounds like its in the recoil, which i would look into after you get the motor running well and starting easy.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. It looks good to me too. Here are some handy links that can help you give your motor and all around tune up. There are also lots of vids on youtube of folks starting and running their vintage OMC motors, including your 10 hp. I used to have a '61 myself. Great little motors with lots of zip and very light. They can have some issues with the clutch dog in the lower unit, but we'll cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

Johnson

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/vintage-evinrude-johnson/377806/37780600001.htm]Vintage Evinrude Johnson Outboard Parts & Diagrams - Catalog 377806[/url]

1956 Johnson QD-17 10HP - YouTube (this is what you want. Just don't over rev like this guy)

1959 Johnson 10hp QD-20 on the Findlay Reservoir - YouTube

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You can stop worrying about the lumpiness, it is very normal, and the way it should be. In fact, it is less lumpy than the older versions. Look at the sheave that the recoil rope winds around. Notice the oval shape? That is to try to smooth out the pull as the engine goes over the compression strokes. Up through 1955, the sheave was round and much lumpier and harder to pull. Yes, the compression strokes are what you are demonstrating as you are turning the flywheel by hand. If it did not do as you are showing, it wouldn't run.

Hint: When actually trying to start it, haul on that rope. But NOT all the way to the end, or you will break it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If you can turn the motor over with your fingers there can't be much resistance.
When cranking the motor be sure the recoil has in gauged the flywheel before pulling.
When in fine tune the motor will start within a few medium pulls.