1992 30hp Evinrude Lower Unit Shifter Connection

duck_chaser

Recruit
I just bought a '92 Evinrude 30 hp tiller drive (Model #: E30RENR) for my duck boat and need to change the water pump. The shift rod connection in the lower unit doesn't seem to match up to any of the descriptions or instructions I can find online. Can anyone tell me how to remove the nut from the shifter connection shown below and remove the lower unit/gearbox? There is a flare under the compression fitting that's not shown keeping it from coming off the shaft and gets caught by the water pump housing when removing the lower unit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2012-11-05 21.00.19.jpg

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1992 30hp Evinrude Lower Unit Shifter Connection

I just bought a '92 Evinrude 30 hp tiller drive (Model #: E30RENR) for my duck boat and need to change the water pump. The shift rod connection in the lower unit doesn't seem to match up to any of the descriptions or instructions I can find online. Can anyone tell me how to remove the nut from the shifter connection shown below and remove the lower unit/gearbox? There is a flare under the compression fitting that's not shown keeping it from coming off the shaft and gets caught by the water pump housing when removing the lower unit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

View attachment 174219

The keeper has a split. Carefully pry it open with a flat blade screw driver and remove it. Be careful not to damage it.
The lower unit should slide down after you remove the bolts.

duck_chaser

Recruit
Re: 1992 30hp Evinrude Lower Unit Shifter Connection

Awesome, thanks for the help Jasper!