Johnson 48hp won't go over about 2200 rpms

rickycouch

Recruit
I have a 93 Johnson 48hp outboard that won't go above about 2200 rpms and plane out. Once I reach about 1/3 throttle the engine sounds like it's being flooded with fuel and/or bogs down. I was planed out running at 5000 rpms smoothly when motor instantly shut down to 2000-2200 rpm level. Starts and idles just like it always has...just won't get up and go. Has been running perfectly otherwise before this. Have replaced fuel line, check venting of fuel tank, fuel pump had old seals so replaced fuel pump. New platinumn spark plugs 6 months ago and replaced them as well because they appeared to be fuel fouled. Revs in neutral normally. Have Stabil in tank just in case of ethanol fuel but try to not purchase if possible. Thinking it could be high-speed stator or something electrical otherwise? How about carbs? not super comfortable tearing carbs apart so haven't done that yet. Any thoughts?

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Johnson 48hp won't go over about 2200 rpms

does it have the system check guage on it? could be running in safe mode if its equipped with that option.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you get an over heat horn ?? Is the horn working ??

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Get a spark checker Check spark on both cylinders.