115 Johnson over charging

Banner Pub

Cadet
I think I posted this an hour ago, but I can't find it, so I'll try it again. I have a 1999 Johnson 115 Oceanrunner. It starts and runs perfectly. I purchased it (boat/motor) in July of this year. The engine didn't charge and the tach didn't work. I took it to a "retired" Johnson mechanic who said it was either the rectifier/regulator or the stator. He didn't know which and said lets replace the rectifier/regulator first since it will cost less. He did and it worked for about 5 running hours (4 short trips). Before the fix I had a reading on battery while running 12.4 volts (gauge 12, gps 12.4). After the repair I had 14.4 volts gps and 14+ on gauge. On my fourth trip running about 3500 rpms, the volt meter jumped (snapped) to full 16+ on gauge and 16.9 on gps. I slowed down to idle and in about a minute it (snapped back) to 14 volts. I tried running up on plane 3 more times and it did the same each time. It was like a "switch was sticking", then it suddenly released. In all the time the boat was running EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECT. The engine never missed a beat, ran strong, ran up to full throttle and idled perfectly. I called the mechanic and asked if the rectifier/regulator could be defective. He said NO, it worked for 5 hours. AND THERE IS NO WARRANTY ON IT. It is probably the STATOR. The rectifier/regulator had NO part number OR any identification markings on it. He said it is a CDI. It looks new, but he did say he had (over the years) saved many used parts from other engines, BUT, he didn't have this part. Do you think it is the stator? Or should I buy a new rectifier/ regulator?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 Johnson over charging

Could be a bad new rect/reg and there should be a warranty. Call CDI and see what they have to say.

Banner Pub

Cadet

The mechanic that installed part said there is no warranty. I can't find any identification markings what-so-ever on the piece. It could be made by any supplier. OR the mechanic could have had this part for a long time and warranty expired. He doesn't want to do anything. I think I'll buy a Sierra rectifier/regulator replacement. I heard from a retired mechanic at my West Marine store (who said) OMC had a problem with their units (some caught fire). He suggested NOT buying from them.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

OMC did have a prob with the reg over heating but they changed them. It's still your choice where you want to buy one. Good Luck.

Banner Pub

Cadet

Maybe I got one of the bad ones. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.