'67 Evinrude 9.5hp Drive Shaft and Gear Case

Timberhunter

Cadet
I posted a few days ago about replacing the upper motor mount on this engine and that is going well so far, but I have a couple more questions for some of you more experienced hands.

1) The drive shaft O-ring that goes into the power head did not come out when I removed the shaft. I cannot tell that it is still in the hole in the power head. Does anyone have any tips to be sure? What about any tips on re-installation? I want to be sure I don't just roll the O-ring out of the groove when I push it back in.

2) There is definitely a leak in the gear case at the prop shaft. I have the manual and parts diagram to repair this, but I wondered if there were any lessons you guys had learned on this one as well.

I appreciate the help. I always try to learn from the experiences of others if I can!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: '67 Evinrude 9.5hp Drive Shaft and Gear Case

Do you still have the p/h off of the exhaust hsg ??

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: '67 Evinrude 9.5hp Drive Shaft and Gear Case

Take a small pick with a hook in the end of it and dig around inside the c/s splines to make sure the old oring is gone. When you install the g/c back into the p/h, install the new oring and lube the sides of splines with molylube, not on the top of the d/s.