OLD motor flusher (homemade?) photos

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
As stated in a earlier post I inherited a old outboard shop, I got with it a bunch of old school tools & test equipment, I was told may not be a good idea to post photos & asked what it was used for as it might "appear" I am trying to learn how to use these tools to run a business. (NOT) so I thought if I know what it is most likely used for and I see a post where info was requested on a subject, I would post what I think may (or may-not) help or be of interest . So this appears to be a flusher (looks homemade) for the older style flush only in a trash-can motors, I tried it on a couple of the older type motors, it works very well, comes with different size tubes & can be built from plumbing scrap or hardware store. I used a regular bungi cord to secure it.

Attachments

• flusher 003.jpg
    flusher 003.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • flusher 004.jpg
    flusher 004.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • flusher 001.jpg
    flusher 001.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • flusher 002.jpg
    flusher 002.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: OLD motor flusher (homemade?) photos

I have no idea what that thing is BUT where you have it inserted is a main exhaust exit. Should you shoot water up that area, you'll be shooting it directly at the exhaust ports of the lower cylinder. Not a good idea.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I agree - no way the motor would pump water that way...

Rick.

Captain

Good thing you posted the pictures. This site is all about learning and sharing and you just heard from two of our "Top Guns" . Perhaps it was used to direct water to a floor drain rather than spewing it all over the shop floor? Best of luck. Rick.

kfa4303

Banned

Funky gizmo, but in the wrong spot to be a flusher. Although, they did make a factory OMC flush unit, but it's very rare and is designed to force/direct water into the water uptake opening labeled in the pic below.

flusher 001.jpg

Someone actually posted a pic of one here in the forums the other day, I have also heard of people making a flush adapter out of a piece of scrap wood/aluminum with a garden hose fixture attached to it that you then install on the water uptake opening found about the anti-vent plate by removing the factory plate. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way in the link below for a better description.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_6hp.htm

kodibass

Yep as stated I don't know if this is even what its used for, (may or may-not) be useful, I just hooked a hose to it and water shot out good, I used it on the lower units in the photos, they are both shot have big cracks in them & were not hooked to a running motor,( I'll stick to a can ) It almost looks like it was used to move air? would there be any reason to shoot air up in there? I'll be posting a photo of another thingy that appears to be some kind of flusher as well, much smaller tube tho, And yes I agree this is a great site to learn from.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

could it be to direct exhauts gas out of the shop area? like the tubes they hang on car exhaust when runing them in the shop?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

One thing I have seen, for the old split case lower units, is a screw in type adapter that goes into the inlet plate on the side of the housing.

kfa4303

Banned

yeah, that's the type in the link I posted. I've got some pate aluminum I thought about making one out of, but I'd still have to get the hose adapter bit. I would be nice to be able to run the motor without dragging out the old test tank :/ That's about the only thing I envy in the new motors.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I had a roomie in college that used to smoke out of something like that ;)

kodibass

akorcovelos, Now why did I not think of that, I think that's what it is supposed to do, I looked inside it and its all black & yuky. And I kinda remember the old shop owner had two hoses running from the motors, a smaller hose sending water in & this going to an outside drain via a length of abs plastic pipe with a hose stuck in it. The other flusher thing I posted was part of the water in set up, I have the clip thing he used to go over the inlet on the motor, its made out of stainless steel and has a hole in it & clips to the motor with a spring.