75 HP Johnson Sea-Horse Starter Relay Issue

Tbstr3

Recruit
I have this Johnson Sea-Horse I hear they aren't that great but that doesn't matter in this case. I'm including a picture to help describe what im talking about. Here goes... I have power coming from battery into Starter Relay 12.4 V, when key is turned i have Power on both small grey wire posts 12.4 V, I have Zero V coming from the the starter relay Which in turn will not turn over engine.

Things I have already Done

1.Cleaned and Checked all connections
2.Use jumper wires to act as grounds
3.used jumper wires to bypass starter relay it turns over.
4.Replaced starter relay with brand new one Same Result. :confused:

Wiring1958-61_35-40hpwithoutgenerat.jpg

Tbstr3

Recruit
Re: 75 HP Johnson Sea-Horse Starter Relay Issue

Solenoid Guys Sorry Not Relay****

yorab

Ensign

What year is your motor? Youll need the correct wiring diagram. Ill try to remember to look for it on my laptop when I get home. If I forget, you should search for it. The 75hp diagram has been posted a few times on the forum.

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The members here are great and the experts, which I am not, can help you with any problem. Please post your model number because that will identify exactly what we are talking about. However, I had a 1962 Johnson V4 75HP with a similar sounding electrical glitch that just about drove me crazy. Mine was a 20amp inline fuse holder that would check OK for continuity BUT not allow the proper voltage to pass. The wires were corroded internally and covered by insulation. R&R'd the fuse holder and enjoyed that motor for another ten years. Good luck!

EDIT: Just refreshed my old geezer brain with wiring diagram color codes and believe you may have a "safety switch" issue. Follow the grey wire in your diagram to the safety switch which is mounted on the distributor or magneto depending on your model and disconnect it. Then try starting the motor. If it starts, you have either a bad safety switch OR it needs adjusting. NOTE: It is in the circuit to prevent owners from starting their motors at too high throttle setting! FYI, my research indicates the wires through the solenoid to the safety switch should be "white" not "grey".

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a bad starter relay. The contacts inside the relay can get burned over time. When these internal contact tips get burned, they won't transfer current.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The small wires on the selenoid should have ground on one going to safty switch , and the other V+ with the key switch turned to start, when tested with a meter and both wires disconected from the selenoid. It sounds as tho the safty switch is bad or the ground is bad. You can also remove that wire from the selenoid and use a jumper wire conected to that post and ground and see if the starter will spin. If the starter will not spin then the selenoid is bad and not making good contact allowing enought amprage pass to spin the starter. It could be that the cables from the battrey to the seleniod and or the cable from the selenoid to the starter is correded inside the insulation and will not allow enought amps to pass thru to spin the starter. JMO
Oldman

Tbstr3

Recruit

Sorry guys I got into it last night and found that the solo lid wasn't getting a good case ground and got her to come back to life !

Willyclay

Captain

Great news! That grounded solenoid thing is a little vague since it does not show up on any wiring diagram I have ever seen. Sorry, I forgot to mention it. Good luck!