Help/tips for winterizing 1979 Evinrude 100 hp, less than 500 hrs

Pepper Lunch

Recruit
Hello all! I'm looking for a 'step by step' guide on how to winterize my 1979 100 hp Evinrude outboard? Can anyone assist w/ this? I have always paid someone to winterize, so i need tips on 'winterizing for dummies' i suppose. I have never changed spark plugs, etc. All i can do is mix the oil/gas, attach the ear muffs, run it on land, unplug/plu in the fuel line, and take the engine cover off if need be, but that is about it. The engine is in excellent shape for the year. Thanks!

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Help/tips for winterizing 1979 Evinrude 100 hp, less than 500 hrs

Outboards don't need much to winterize. There is heated debate whether or not to run the carbs dry, I prefer to leave 'em alone for winter storage. I pull the plugs though an hit the cylinders with fogging oil. Just leave it verticle and all of the water will drain out. Now would be a good time to replace the water pump impeller and replace lower unit lube.

Pepper Lunch

Recruit

Outboards don't need much to winterize. There is heated debate whether or not to run the carbs dry, I prefer to leave 'em alone for winter storage. I pull the plugs though an hit the cylinders with fogging oil. Just leave it verticle and all of the water will drain out. Now would be a good time to replace the water pump impeller and replace lower unit lube.

Thank you very much. You mean pull the spark plugs? Is this accurate:

1. Run the engine on land w/ hose hook up
2. while running the engine, spray cylinders w/ fogging oil
3. turn off engine
4. remove spark plugs
5. put in new spark plugs
6. replace water pump impeller
7. replace lower unit lube
8. remove battery from the boat

* I'm storing the boat on my trailer in our driveway. We live in Annapolis, MD. Do i need to shrink wrap it or is that over-kill? Should i bring the canvas covers inside for the winter?

Thanks!

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No need to run on muffs out of the water unless rinsing out salt water. With engine off pull spark plugs, spray fogging oil into cylinders ( a little goes a long ways, 2-3 seconds shoud do it) replace spark plugs. Go on to other tasks.

Pepper Lunch

Recruit

No need to run on muffs out of the water unless rinsing out salt water. With engine off pull spark plugs, spray fogging oil into cylinders ( a little goes a long ways, 2-3 seconds shoud do it) replace spark plugs. Go on to other tasks.

Thanks a million. How to the spark plus come out? Just pull them or do they screw in? How would i go about replacing the pump and lube for lower unit? I'm a first-timer and don't have much experience w/ outboards (only in my 20's).

Should i store canvas inside and shrink wrap, or can i just use my normal cover for the winter and maybe put one of those big blue tarps over the standard cover?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Peppr, In addition to your list of 8 items, the first thing you do is remove the prop. Now mix in some fuel stabilizer into one of your fuel tanks, in the ratio recommended. Run the motor on a flusher to circulate the stabilized fuel. I just spray the fogging oil into the carb throats, rather than remove the spark plugs. Spark plugs unscrew, BTW.

Pump grease into the grease fittings. Change the gear oil. If the waterpump impeller has never been rebuilt, it is likely time to do it. Get a Service Manual for the step by step procedure.

dodgeboy1979

Seaman Apprentice

the spark plugs are threaded, go buy a special socket from the autoparts store for this (it has a rubber protector on the inside to protect the ceramic on the plugs). The leg oil you can just drain into a can and there is a little pump you buy to fill the oil from the bottom drain screw until it flows out the top. Your standard tarp should be fine to store the boat for the winter.