1983 johnson 75 hp no water out tale tail

rockies

Cadet
hey there just bought first boat and trying to get it winterized. Hooked up muffs fired motor no pee stream checked tale tail hose all the way to 90deg fitting on block all clear. To scared to let it run to long mabey 20sec still no stream. Is there a thermostate that needs to open i though that no matter what there was water in the tail tale and the thermostate opened to send water back down to lower unit. Is It ok as long as its on muffs to run awhile longer, i did test my overheat horn to make sure it is working in case it gets to hot. Motor was used twice by a previous owner after being purchest from a marina in march 2012. I was able to contact the marina and the mech said motor has new water pump , fuel lines, all new electrical in march just dont know if the owners from march burt up impeller or i just need to get a drum of water to test run.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1983 johnson 75 hp no water out tale tail

Welcome to iboats.

Get a piece of weedeater plastic string and make sure your tell tale hose is free of mud wasps and bugs. Common problem.

Since the motor is "new to you" dropping the lower unit to inspect the impeller is easy and not a bad idea too.

rockies

Cadet

hey bob i droped the lower unit and found the impeller to be in great shape, actually looks brand new. so i started looking closer and as i turned the shaft clockwise the way it would be spining on the engine as i held on to the impeller it would just sit there in my hand and spin on the shaft. but if i spin the shaft counter clockwise the key would catch the keyway on the impeller and i was no longer able to hold on to the impeller it would turn with the shaft. Anyway i took the impeller off fliped it made sure my vanes were the right direction acording to my manual and now when turning the shaft clockwise the impeller turns with the shaft. Is this just an odd brand impeller and key set up they are half moon shape so they do only catch one way. is this just particular to johnson motors?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The rubber impeller is self straightening (no need for flips) however if it was not springy and new looking rubber.......... I would have replaced it just for piece of mind

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The key acts as a wedge so make sure you have the impeller installed the correct way.

rockies

Cadet

The key acts as a wedge so make sure you have the impeller installed the correct way.

yea that was the problem i took off the lower unit and fliped the impeller and now got a solid stream out the tail tale.