e-tech thermostats in a ficht

droach77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1999 90 hp ficht suffix c and i have read that the e-tech thermostats out of a v-6 keep it running warmer at idle. Does it matter what year, and to those who have done this does it help ?

thanks

dave

Re: e-tech thermostats in a ficht

does it help ?

What problem is it you're trying to fix? Does it idle poorly? What temperature are your heads at now when idling?

What I'm getting at is that before you go trying to improve on what the factory engineers designed you should have a clear idea of what the existing shortcomings are and what it is you're trying to achieve. There are some very smart OMC guys on here and if there's a problem with your engine they'll be able to help out.

82rude

Rear Admiral

my reply has nothing to do with how smart anybody is on here, thats a given ,lots of smart cookies.he asked a specific question and i feel that to get the best answer why not ask a etec -tec?heck ,i own a etec and id never dream of leaving this site as it full of good stuff.couurse i also have 5 old j/e,s and one chrysler also.soon to add 2 more from the johnson /evinrude clan.

my reply has nothing to do with how smart anybody is on here, thats a given ,lots of smart cookies.he asked a specific question and i feel that to get the best answer why not ask a etec -tec?heck ,i own a etec and id never dream of leaving this site as it full of good stuff.couurse i also have 5 old j/e,s and one chrysler also.soon to add 2 more from the johnson /evinrude clan.

And my reply had nothing to do with your reply, I was responding to the original post. If he feels that there's a need to modify the engine let's hear why.

droach77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well as far as i am concerned a hotter stat is not a modification by no means. I have a cummins diesel in my truck and i change the stats between summer and winter for cooler temps in the summer and better heat in the winter. As far as problems i have not had any yet but i have only had it out a couple times since the motor is new to me and i have cleaned the oil tank out and i am running xd-100 oil now, and i have not idled for long periods of time. I am asking about the stats because i plan on replacing the original ones anyway and am trying to do the ounce of prevention thing. I do have the EV-DIAG software and i cannot remember what it was runnnig at on the muffs in the driveway but if i remember it was really low temp which is to be expected. The plugs are properly indexed and i just put in the QC12peps because that is what brp parts catalouge calls for in a "C" suffix motor which is what i have.

thanks

dave

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've been a tech for 20 years, i remember a themo update in like 2001 or 02 on the 90 dregs engines and i thought it was to let them run a little hotter, or maybe cooler, back then plug fouling was a big issue. I would check the bulletin but that part of dealer port is down right now. I can't see any harm in what your thinking, the only thing i can think of is after a high speed run then cutting back to 1400 to 1800 RPM you might see the temp climb and maybe set off a over heat. But you the diag to monitor that.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The 90? update was drilling and installing roll pin in t-stat area, the 60? did not have a update to my knowledge. You share the same t-stat up to 2007 on the V-6 60? motors(143?), the new 3.3 motor uses a different t-stat(133?) as cooling system/routing is different

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The 90hp FICHT has a different cooling system and thermostats compared to the big block V-6 engines. The E-TEC #5005440 145? thermostats will only fit the 200hp and larger FICHT engines.

droach77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info guys greatly appreciated.

dave