1997 johnson ocean runner

djfino860

Recruit
i have a 1997 johnson ocean runner wich will start fine but affter 15 to 20 minutes running it will go crazy on me it will iddle to 3000 rpm on nutrial and it will be shaking like crazy on low speed i i pushed the throthle it will shut off any body help please thank you....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1997 johnson ocean runner

that sounds like a motor that has overheated. When it's cold, the parts are in their original shape. As they heat up, they flex out to the mishapen mess they became when the motor overheated but didn't seize tight. The shut down you describe is a temporary seize.

BTDT--as explained to me by a mechanic after I overheated a Johnson 70; kinda got it running again, same symptoms. VRO failure. I had a similar experience with a Evinrude 18 I was testing that would overheat and go bonkers at high speeds; seem to run OK at low (water pump failure)

Stillwaters115

Recruit
My 1997 175 is doing the exact same thing. Im going to change the water pump and serif it helps. Let me know how you make out with your 175.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Since this topic is two years old, it's doubtful you will get any answers. We don't like inactive topics being re-opened by non-OPs. Start a new topic with your questions. Thanks.