583117 stator from a 1985 johnson 200 hp. No regulator voltage.

Jquest

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,
I'm trying to help a friend with a stator problem. Basically the system is not chargning. We get 12 volts at the batteries. We know it's not the regulator because he swapped it out. The engine fires up fine , but it runs on batteries only. I've measured the two yellows and get no voltage coming out and I've done a continuity check and I get "0" ohms across the two wires. Question. shouldn't I get some type of impedence reading around 200 ohms instead or do the old stators read "0" ohms? Also, could there be a possiblity that the cables are cut/shorted underneath the assembly and that is why I"m getting this reading? I believe it's the original stator that came with the engine.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 583117 stator from a 1985 johnson 200 hp. No regulator voltage.

Sounds like a bad stator.

Re: 583117 stator from a 1985 johnson 200 hp. No regulator voltage.

You can't measure voltages coming from the stator with a normal multi-meter, you need a DVA adapter. Basically what that does is capture the peak voltage from the sine wave being generated, it'd be the same as reading the peak of the waveform on a scope. Also, the low voltage coil on the stator has a pretty low resistance - check out CDI electronics website for some troubleshooting tips and specs. Also, the actual factory service manual will be your best source of information.