Johnson Seahorse 18hp gear linkage problem

stjon

Seaman
I am new to this site and new to outboards so please be gentle and excuse my poor terminology! I have a Johnson Seahorse 18hp model no. FDL - 19D. I believe this is a 1965 model. It will not change out of forward gear so I checked all old posts and removed the inspection plate to find the linkage to the gearbox was disconnected. I managed to get the lower shift rod to pop back into the connector and got my gear changes back! However, when I tried to tighten the lower screw I find it will not tighten - the screw just turns? As far as I can tell from a parts diagram there is no nut involved, so is the connector threaded? Can anyone suggest why the screw won't tighten please?

Thankyou

Steve

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson Seahorse 18hp gear linkage problem

Sounds like the threads in the coupler are stripped. A new coupler shouldn't cost meuc. And hey show up on eBay.

One of he members here might be able to supply one, too.

stjon

Seaman

Many thanks for that quick reply! I will have to look up the procedure but assumedly there's some major dissassembly needed to get at the connector...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

When you re-connect the new coupler, you have to remove the screws completely. This is because there is a a relief in each end for the screw to go through, while the coupler is on correctly. These reliefs also help keep the shift rods connected to the coupler. When you attach the rods to the coupler, you will be able to see through the screw holes, if the rod reliefs are properly lined up. Make sure you line things up correctly before you insert the screws, because the shift rods can easily wipe out the threads on the screws.

marineengines.com has all the parts your looking for if you want to replace the coupler. the coupler itself cost about 20 dollars then you have to buy the new screws separate if you need them. i went to home depot and just bought 2 stainless 1/4 bolts at 1 inch long. with 2 stainless neoprene nuts and put them through my striped coupler on myn 25. little tricky to put on but never had another problem out of it.. just an idea..

stjon

Seaman

Thank you all for the informative replies! A stupid question - would it be possible to change the coupler via the inspection hole? It would be fiddly and I'd have to ensure the old one did not drop inside. I've read about the importance of good seals below the waterline so I'm not eager to remove any major parts unless I really have to.

Toughlife - have I understood correctly? Did you use a nut and bolt instead of replacing the stripped coupler? Ingenious!

Steve

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes - change the coupler via the inspection hole. That's what it's for. There is a bolt that holds it to the top ship shaft just like the one that holds it to the bottom shift shaft. Remove both bolts but careful not to drop either the bolts or the coupler or you will have to drop the lower unit to retrieve them. Dropping the lower isn't that big a deal if you do drop a part but it's extra work. You won't break any seals dropping the lower unit unless you remove the bottom skeg to get at the gears/clutch etc.
Thank you all for the informative replies! A stupid question - would it be possible to change the coupler via the inspection hole? It would be fiddly and I'd have to ensure the old one did not drop inside. I've read about the importance of good seals below the waterline so I'm not eager to remove any major parts unless I really have to.

Toughlife - have I understood correctly? Did you use a nut and bolt instead of replacing the stripped coupler? Ingenious!

Steve

lindy46

Captain

Use a needle-nosed pliers. It would be difficult to put a nut on the backside of a long bolt through the coupler - that's why the coupler is threaded.

stjon

Seaman

Thanks again all. Sounds like that's my job for tomorrow! I wish marineengines.com delivered outside the US - I've sourced a connector in the UK (in case I can't do the nut and bolt trick) and they have quoted about $50.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If you happen to drop anything in there, you don't necessarily have to drop the lower unit. Just lay the motor on it's back and it should roll out the exhaust outlet. You may have to shake the motor around or tilt the lower unit up a bit to get it to fall out though.

stjon

Seaman

Update - I removed both bolts but just couldn't remove the connector from the upper shaft. It would not budge. So I reconnected everything and found a longer than standard bolt to replave the bottom one and it tightened up OK! Checked the linkage and the gears seem fine now!

Thanks again! Onto the ignition problem now....

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Cool deal. Good to see you got 'er fixed ;)