looking to increase charging system on 1983 175 johnson

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I'm looking at adding some electric to my boat and want to increase the charging system on my motor. J175txctd 1983 175hp johnson. To my knowledge my motor creates 9-10 amps as is. I have read that I can upgrade it to produce 35 amps. I know the stator and rectifier need to be changed to do this but I do not know what part numbers the improved/upgraded versions are. Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: looking to increase charging system on 1983 175 johnson

If you find the parts to convert it, you'll also need a different flywheel.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You will need a : stator, stator bolts, flywheel, rectifier/regulator and 35 amp crankcase upper bearing housing

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

I realize this but can someone post PART NUMBERS for what would exactly be needed. Too many places say they have this or that and its not what you actually need for the proper upgrade. I'm trying to use the knowledge amd resources of the people on this forum to avoid that BS and run around

Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

OMC made two versions of the 35 amp charging system. The early version, starting in 1984-1988 and the later version, starting in 1989 through 1991. To tell the engines apart visually: The early version ignition system had the dual power packs, the later system had the single. The two systems have different charging components which can't be mixed and matched. The magnetic timing rings on the flywheels are different between these two systems and they require different (matched) timer bases so that they will fire the plugs correctly. These flywheels are scarce, since they have been long since discontinued, so you will need to scrounge around for the used parts you need. To make sure they match, you might want to visit a marine salvage yard and buy a complete inigition system off an engine with a blown powerhead. The systems are the same between a 150S, 235S or 175S model in the same model year. The flywheels have been know to have the center magnetic timing rings move, thus get out of time, and the magnets have been known to fall off (come unglued). You'll want to double check your parts when purchasing them.

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMC made two versions of the 35 amp charging system. The early version, starting in 1984-1988 and the later version, starting in 1989 through 1991. To tell the engines apart visually: The early version ignition system had the dual power packs, the later system had the single. The two systems have different charging components which can't be mixed and matched. The magnetic timing rings on the flywheels are different between these two systems and they require different (matched) timer bases so that they will fire the plugs correctly. These flywheels are scarce, since they have been long since discontinued, so you will need to scrounge around for the used parts you need. To make sure they match, you might want to visit a marine salvage yard and buy a complete inigition system off an engine with a blown powerhead. The systems are the same between a 150S, 235S or 175S model in the same model year. The flywheels have been know to have the center magnetic timing rings move, thus get out of time, and the magnets have been known to fall off (come unglued). You'll want to double check your parts when purchasing them.

i knew that the 150, 175 and 235 all shared the same parts, but they all produce the same low amps for that year. i was wondering more about another year that would be compatible. i dont care if i need to cut and soldier connections, im mainly talking about bolting together and functioning together properly. i dont have the complete knowledge of mixing and matching parts and years, thats why i was asking about which parts exactly and what part numbers. im not trying to be difficult, its just that i know there are people on this site that know more about that and can save me from wasting money and time with the wrong parts

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

0582572 FLYWHEEL ASSY., 35 AMP
0582574 STATOR ASSY., 35 amp.
0582904 RECTIFIER & REGULATOR ASSY., 35 amp
0325135 SCREW, Stator mounting
0387432 CRANKCASE HEAD AND BRG. ASSY.
0322575 SEAL, Upper
0305123 O-RING
0322858 GASKET, Water passage cover

Hi, I'm looking at adding some electric to my boat and want to increase the charging system on my motor.

I was just thinking about this, and a question that hasn't been asked is what are you going to be adding? What I'm getting at is - are you certain that you need the extra charging capacity? That list of parts from Faztbullet is going to be pretty pricy, even when buying used parts.

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

0322575 SEAL, Upper
0305123 O-RING

thank you sooo much

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was just thinking about this, and a question that hasn't been asked is what are you going to be adding? What I'm getting at is - are you certain that you need the extra charging capacity? That list of parts from Faztbullet is going to be pretty pricy, even when buying used parts.

yes i know. i am adding an amp, lighting for night, lighting for on a new wakeboard tower, depth finder, gps, phone chargers, ect. i am switching to all led lights to help with the current draw, and instead of running 6-8 speakers i am running 4 and no sub, but with only a measly 10 amps powering this stuff and charging my batteries i wanted to know exactly what i am looking at to increase my charging. yes i have two batteries and a select switch, but all this stuff is abit much for a 10 amp charge motor

a very quick look at parts puts me at about 500-600 for the upgrade, if i could shop around and find this stuff for about 350-400 i might pull the trigger depending how things work out with the electric onboard.

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

0322575 SEAL, Upper
0305123 O-RING

i realize this is an older thread but the stator on my boat recently has started going out. i have located all the parts i need to now do the conversion. my only question is regarding the rectifier and regulator assembly. my motor currently has two separate units, but the new 35 amp piece is a combo unit. my question is whether anything special needs to be done wiring wise for the change to a singular unit?

beyond that is there anything special i need to do when installing the new stator? just unbolt everything and install all the new parts? im assuming it would be a good idea to redo the timing on the motor. anything else i should look for while i have the flywheel off? anything to check on the timer base? thanks

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

NEED HELP FROM THE BIG GUNS

finally got around to doing this and now i need wiring advice/assistance:

old system had off the rectifier: purpler and yellow wires; off the regulator: yellow, yellow/grey, and red wires. the new replacement regulator and rectifier assembly has: purple, grey, red, yellow, and a second yellow.

anyone familiar with how to do this?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Are you working from a factory service manual?