1977 25HP Johnson Seahorse (25BA77H) got a cold (sneezing & missfiring)

Mullerhawk

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys,

I bought a 1977 25HP Johnson Seahorse (25BA77H) for a measly $70 due to the fact it is supposed to be broken (died on previous owner after a while of running). The powerhead shows apparent scorching from overheating (paint is yellow and some burnoff in the corners of the cylinder head).

He said that the water channel was filled with gunk and he cleaned it out. And that it was running after that. Of course I was sceptical, but it's a no brainer for that amount of cash. I can always strip it for spare parts or sell it for the tripple amount of cash. But!

I made it my mission to get the motor running. I cleaned everything, did a pressure test (110 PSI on both cylinders). Checked the cylinder walls for scratches (through the spark holes) but found no appare problem. Then I tried to run it in a barrel. It takes about 10 pulls then it sneezes and goes BANG! Tried some more times but the same result - no ignition.

Then I noticed that one of the cables comming from the powerpack was metodicly cut and stripped, and the same on the other side (PP: Brown/Yellow, Stator: Black/Yellow - check the pictures!). It looked allmost like a connection was missing so I was wondering if that was because of the older 3 wire PP design (even if this has four). I connected it and tried again - but still the same sneezing with a bang. Should it even be connected?!

I checked the link-and-sync and it looked quite good (not perfect). But at WOT the CAM armature is about 1-2 inches from the ignition timing screw which looks a bit strange! Could the sneezing be from the ignition timing is off? From my understanding timing can only be adjusted at WOT with a timing light? Is there any other way to do a rough setting (should have 34degree according to the sticker on the engine)?

Or what else could cause the ignition sneezing and miss detonations?!

Thankful for all the help I can get to get this old geezer running again :)

// Michael Vinter

IMG_0227.jpgIMG_0228.jpgIMG_0229.jpgIMG_0230.jpgIMG_0231.jpg

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1977 25HP Johnson Seahorse (25BA77H) got a cold (sneezing & missfiring)

Can't help with the power pack but the sneezing is typically from running too lean. If you haven't done it, a carb rebuild should be on the list. They crud up from sitting. Look at the stickies at the top of the forum for the correct link and sync procedure. It can be done without the motor running.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Will the spark jump a 7/16 " open air gap ??

Mullerhawk

Seaman Apprentice

Went through the engine yesterday. It seems that due to the fact it has overheated it fried the powerpack. I did all messurements according to the service manual. And everything under the flywheel was ok. The coils meassured ok too (even though one is a bit messed up). But coil nr2 did not deliver a spark, so I went on meassuring the PP. It seems that the power output for coil 2 is not working. But to really test it i switched the output cables on the PP to the coils. And deem my supprise when I got spark on both plugs :).

I put back the cables as they were, and checked for spark. Still there. So I went on testing the engine in a barrell and it started right up after a couple of jerks :D.

Seems to be running a bit rough though, so I suspect that the PP is due for a change.

Will the spark jump a 7/16 " open air gap ??

jasper60103

Commander

Went through the engine yesterday. It seems that due to the fact it has overheated it fried the powerpack. I did all messurements according to the service manual. And everything under the flywheel was ok. The coils meassured ok too (even though one is a bit messed up). But coil nr2 did not deliver a spark, so I went on meassuring the PP. It seems that the power output for coil 2 is not working. But to really test it i switched the output cables on the PP to the coils. And deem my supprise when I got spark on both plugs :).

I put back the cables as they were, and checked for spark. Still there. So I went on testing the engine in a barrell and it started right up after a couple of jerks :D.

Seems to be running a bit rough though, so I suspect that the PP is due for a change.

Michael,
that would explain the taped wire in pic5. I suspect someone was troubleshooting the spark issue.
Congrats on getting her going.

jasper

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Follow the advise given.

rebuild the carb and new water pump.

Mullerhawk

Seaman Apprentice

Follow the advise given.

rebuild the carb and new water pump.

Jupp! Carb rebuilt, water pump is already fixed too by previous owner after overheating. But this was an electrical problem that "might" be resolved now. I suspect the power pack is foobar due to partial overheating and needs replacing (even if it works at the moment).