(Rigging) Installing a Johnson Motor??????

MP1

Cadet
First time ever putting a motor on..............have the motor mounted and steering hooked up....all my controls are connected to the motor, I will need to mount the throttle lever, going to need to run the cables through the inside gunnel and out of the transom boot, there is a large red colored rubber boot where the elctricals seem to be connected inside the motor, can I take this boot apart?? are the wires just plugged in together and held inside the boot? I will need to disconnect it from the motor to get it in the gunnel and ran through the transom cable boot, also any advice on removing the throttle and shift cable as these also will go through the transom cable boot into the gunnel and attached to the throttle lever......................I greatly appreciate any guidance on this!
Motor is a 1994 50HP Johnson

Re: (Rigging) Installing a Johnson Motor??????

Once the pins are inserted in that red connector it's a real pain to take them out. Maybe post a photo of your setup so we can better understand what you've got.

Can you fit the red connector through the boot by itself? If so then run that first, then follow up with the shift and throttle cables. If that won't work is it an option to enlarge the hole (I can't imagine it would take much, the red plug isn't all THAT big).

boobie

Supreme Mariner

OMC did have rigging guides at one time. You could try Ken Cook in Milwaukee WI and see if they have one.

MP1

Cadet

I disconnectted the red connector and the shift and throttle controls at the motor and was able to fish all the cables through the transom cable boot up to my control unit...neatly tied everything together.....actually all went well :)