what is causing my evinrude to go into SLOW MODE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillnjack2

Ensign
Model no BE60TLEOC
Serial no G 03751787
Year 1995 USA

well today i took the boat out for a test run and for the first hour or so it went fantastic.
over 40mph and reving as it should.
a couple of times i slowed down a bit and just cruised and all fine, opened it up again and it ran great.

Then a while later ran it flat out and it went good again, then when i slowed down i knew it didnt sound right and would only go slow ???????????
limped back to the dock and switched it off,let it cool down even though the head felt stone cold.
20 minutes later it started up straight away but sounded like it was missing real bad.
It wouldnt rev and realy sounded rough.
fuel primer still nice and firm, but engine a bit smokey,would not even rev up much on the warm up lever.
the engine just wouldnt respond to throttle and coughed a couple of times as well.

i thought maybe the carbs need to come off yet again, but decided to try and limp back up river about 1/2 mile.
started up fine ran like a pig,sounded horrible,gave it full throttle and it seemed rough.
then all of a sudden it just burst back into life and realy screamed off down the river.
everything now seems to be perfect again.

Someone mentioned it might have gone into S.L.O.W Mode ???????

why does the engine go into this SLOW mode ?
And what is the correct way to get it back out of SLOW mode ?

i dont have the vro connected up anymore,i use older style fuel pump, i run pre-mix 50-1.
fuel is fresh today.spark plugs new
I do have a rectifier problem in that its not charging and no rev counter to be precise on revs
but you can hear this engine is getting full power when it runs good.
i would estimate when it went bad it was running around 1500-2000 rpm max.

any ideas as to why this would do this ? it never got hot,infact stayed very cool indeed.

phill........:confused:

emoney

Commander
Re: what is causing my evinrude to go into SLOW MODE ?

"Slow Mode' is an overheat issue or at least the "temp sensor" thinks there's one. It would make sense in that it "corrected itself" which could be the sensor going bad or even a bad wiring connection. I wouldn't imagine it to be fuel related, or again, wouldn't correct on it's own. Out of curiousity, what type fuel tank do you use?

phillnjack2

Ensign

the fuel tank is also a brand new hulk 30 litre plastic tank.
fuel fittings are all good,no air leaks etc,tank vent open,no kinks in fuel pipe (also new).

i did think about the sensor so disconnected it, it made no difference when it was bad at all.
But the alarm dont even go off when the sensor wire is grounded, i do know about this as it was explained that i might have a diode blocking that.
But the thing is,the engine was realy runn ing strong, then just seemed to go into a terrible slow mode type thing.
the engine was and is definitely very very cold.
at start up the tell tale runs and after about 45 seconds the htermostat opens and plenty of water from exhaust ports etc.
but when it came back to life it runs very strong again.
im running a 13 x 19inch pitch omc sst stainless prop and this engine flies with it, accelearation fantastic as well.
tickover is good as well , and you couldnt get an engine to start any quicker.
even when it went into this crazy mode the engine would still start instantly, but ran with a terrible missfire etc.

i checked all the wires to see if any were loose or bad connection and nothing made any difference.
i do have another powerpack spare and might try that if it does it again.
just need to make sure i have the tools onboard.

at what temp does the overheat sensor send the engine into slow mode ? as i have a spare sensor as well.
infact almost entire spare engine.
like i say it ran so strong i was shocked when it ran so bad and rough for about 1/2 hour or so, then came back to life as if nothing happened.
but at no time did the engine get hot,infact im sure its running too cool, ive never had an engie run this cool before.
the engine cylinder head and block are almost the same temp as the river.

does the slow mode automatically go away after a certain time with the engine switched off ?

phill

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Not that its going to fix your problem but I'd fix that rectifier. Knowing exact rpm is a big help in trouble shooting. Knowing what wot is and not running at it all the time is just plain good sense.

phillnjack2

Ensign

yep i agree about the rectifier.
infact i put another one on today and same results, but that rectifier could also be shot i dont know.
i do know im not getting any battery charging.
before i had the problem today i had made a list to get new rectifier this week and get rid of the diode in the tan wire.
now im wondering is it is bad rectifier or something in the powerpack causing the problems. ?

wish i knew more about electronic stuff

phill

wgwfish

Recruit
IF the engine was converted from self- oiling, and the old injection ports were not, or are not now, properly sealed to keep air out, extra air will enter, will cause the engine to run too lean, and will consequently cause it to overheat and trigger s.l.o.w.

Status
Not open for further replies.