1988 Evinrude 140 V4 - Gearbox Control Cable setup Help

NZmike

Cadet
Hi there, I have a 1988 Evinrude 140 V4 and have been trying to set up the gearbox control cable but can?t seem to be able to get it to work correctly. I have adjusted the cable by placing the control lever in the neutral position then loosening off the jam-nut on the cable adjuster. I can either extend or collapse the adjuster until the shift arm on the engine is in the neutral position or very close to it. The problem is that when I push the control to the "Forward idle" position it seems to stop short or will only just engage the gears, this is the same for the "Reverse idle" position. I can adjust the cable slightly to one side of the neutral position and the gearbox will engage in either forward or reverse depending on which side of the neutral I have adjusted it but I can seem to get it to a position where it will go into both Forward and Reverse. I am thinking there may be some general wear and backlash in the motor linkages but am not really sure. Is there anything that I am missing or anyway of making further adjustments? Thanks in advance for any help offered. Mike

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Evinrude 140 V4 - Gearbox Control Cable setup Help

I helped a m8t yesterday with the same problem , fist of all i offed the gearbox & screwed the shift rod all the way in as it was out unscrewed out by a number of threads , this improved the gear selection , but found that it would go into reverse , but just just engage with forward causing it to slip in forward & it was the same thing the other way around then i held the cable in one hand & pulled it in & out only to find that there was play in the gears in the control , stripped it down & found i tooth broken , replaced the control box today & went for a test in the river , it all sweet now ,

NZmike

Cadet
Re: 1988 Evinrude 140 V4 - Gearbox Control Cable setup Help

Hi there, thanks for that. I have now stripped down, checked and put back together my Remote Control Box.
All of the above look fine. I have managed to measure how much movement I require at the shift arm to move the gearbox from forward to reverse and it is 65mm. Now when I measure the total movement on the cable when I move the Remote control from Forward Idle to Reverse Idle I am only getting 54mm of movement. I am aware there is a little spring action in the Cable but am wondering if my remote is worn allowing excessive backlash. Does anyone know how much movement I should be getting from the remote cable? Also I have been told my Remotes are obsolete, if this is the case and I replace with new remotes how much movement should I be getting.
Thanks Mike