81 Evinrude Broken Drive Shaft HELP!!!!!

mhogie11

Recruit
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased another lower unit for my motor, an 81 70hp evinrude (btw an 84 lower unit is a perfect fit for an 81) because my drive shaft was broken on the top where the splines are. When I went to put on the new lower unit, I realized that a little piece of the old drive shaft is still stuck up in where the splines fit to the upper portion of the motor.

Does anyone know how to get this out? I tried hitting it with some other medal rods, but it seems to be stuck in there pretty good. My guess is there is about half an inch of the tip of the old drive shaft stuck up there.

Is there an easier way to get this out, other than drilling it, or trying to weld something to it and pull it out??

If I start it up and get the flywheel to spin, will this dislodge this?

Please help!!!

Thanks!

mark1961

Ensign
Re: 81 Evinrude Broken Drive Shaft HELP!!!!!

Alot depends on what is keeping it in there.....if its dryed up grease you can probably break it down with some solvent.....it will either fall out or be persuaded out with a magnetic recovery tool. If it didnt budge when you tapped it with the rod its seized/corroded in there or you have damaged crankshaft splines from the breakage.....in both cases you are probably going to have to remove the powerhead to get anywhere.....drilling and tapping a thread so you can screw a bolt into it then slide hammer or some type of puller is probably going to work best but if the splines are damaged it could be whole lot different.