10 hp Johnson 1959 no spark

LVT

Cadet
so, i bought an old 10 hp Johnson at the auction last week, becuase I need another project?!?!:confused:

When I got it home I realized that the motor was seized ( no wonder nobody was bidding against me, lol):facepalm:

So I dosed the cylinders with PB Blaster and let it sit overnight. The next day I pulled recoil off and got it to turn over with a wrench on the fly wheel. So I thought maybe there is hope for this old girl.

Now when I turn her over I don?t seem to be getting any spark. So I pulled the fly wheel and cleaned the rust on the coils and I saw the lamination on the coils is severely cracked and flaking off in large chunks.:eek:

So my questions for now are will the bad lamination cause the no spark issue? Can I laminate with epoxy and will this help and if not where can I find these (there are 2)? Or should I first look to a different cause for this issue?

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 10 hp Johnson 1959 no spark

compression test it first! but all the ignition parts are readily available and relatively cheap. the old coils cant be fixed. post back with compression numbers before buying parts tho.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The coils are very common, you can get them right here at iboats. They are for the universal magneto.

Dont worry, they had a 100 percent failure rate. Any coils from that period are junk and need to be replaced. The new ones are of much better quality and will outlast you.

Im sure the points will need a good dressing and cleaning with acetone as well.

LVT

Cadet

I forgot to mention I did do a commpression test and got around 75 psi on the upper cylander,but could not get to the lower.