question about 1995 Evinrude vindicator 225 hp

jlettfish

Cadet
Recently purchased a Javelin TE with the Erude 225 hp Vindicator,,,, starts up quickly, idles perfect and runs super smooth from start. I replaced fuel/water separator filter, fuel lines, bulb. Just routine maintenance. Like I said before boat runs out perfect and is fast and smooth, 2nd time I took it out I ran down river and fished about an hour just trolling around, started engine back up and idled out to blast off and as I gave it gas it bogged down and went dead, it started right back up and idled perfectly and then as I gave it gas it bogged a bit and went dead,, 3rd time I pumped the key choke and it took off perfectly and ran great rest of day??? << I checked the spark plugs and they are completely gone (literally looks like the ones that were in it new!) ,, I replaced them but havent ran the boat since so I dont know if that had anything at all to do with the spell it had,,, anybody have any ideas?? This is my first Erude engine to own,, I've heard good things about the Vindicator

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: question about 1995 Evinrude vindicator 225 hp

Take it and run it with the new plugs and see what happens. Let us know the out come.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What do you mean by "I checked the spark plugs and they are completely gone (literally looks like the ones that were in it new!)"

jlettfish

Cadet

I mean I took the spark plugs out and they are burnt up and they look like the ones that were in the boat new in 1998, I don't understand your question?,, I raced motorcross for 12 yrs and all I know is a 2 stroke engine doesn't perform wih fouled plugs,, got new ones just haven't ran it yet, had carbs cleaned also, so hopefully this will help it,, thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As I said above, take it and run it.

jlettfish

Cadet

OK finally got out and ran the motor with the new plugs. It still will do the bog down but not initially, say the first blast off will be perfect and maybe the 2nd, then all of a sudden it will bog on the 3rd time!? and so on.. I first thought that the new plugs and wires had fixed it but then it did it,, and the fix is still to just pump the key choke a few times and itll blast right off and run perfect!.. .. ??? any other ideas? Carbs need a complete cleaning?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Carb job.