Best solvent to clean recirc valves

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
I have six recirc valves from a parts engine that I want to clean up and keep for spares. Four of them test OK and two are blocked. All of them have at least some hardened residue on the screen which I would like to clean off.
What solvent will break down the deposits but not damage the internal valve?
I was considering soaking one of the non-functional valves in some Techron which I happen to have on the shelf and see what happens.
I don't want to use carb cleaner unless it's a last resort. I don't know if the strong solvent will damage the valve.

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best solvent to clean recirc valves

The OMC Engine Tuner is pretty safe. I have never tried it for what you are suggesting, but use it on all my carbs. It is safer to use for the carbs than carb cleaner.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

That might work. I'll see if I've got any on the shelf, if not I have some on the boat.
The Techron is good for cleaning sulfur deposits. I use it in one of my cars to prevent problems with the fuel level sensor. The Engine Tuner probably does a better job on carbon deposits. Depending on what is blocking the valve, one or the other, or one then the other may work. It may take a few days of soaking to get results. I'll post the outcome when I'm finished.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Seafoam might be another good option.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The OMC Engine Tuner is pretty safe. I have never tried it for what you are suggesting, but use it on all my carbs. It is safer to use for the carbs than carb cleaner.

Engine tuner for any thing fuel related, better than sliced bread!.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

I have seafoam here at the house, so if the Techron doesn't work I'll try that.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

The Techron removed some of the deposits that were on the screen but did not unstick the valve after a two hour soak, so I added Seafoam and let it sit overnight. Both of the valves that were stuck now work properly (Turns out this was not the case. Read update below). There are still some hard deposits on the screen so I'm going to let them soak longer.

Update: After soaking the valves longer, the screens are clean, but when I checked the valves they are not working. I think I may have had an air leak between the valve and the syringe making it look like the valve was working. Several more days of soaking, made no difference. Oh well, it was worth a try.