1979 johnson 55 hp no spark

garyaye

Cadet
Hi i have recently aquired a johnson 55 hp engine to cut a long story short thought we had got all electrics sorted started first time sounded sweet water coming out the tell tale but when i went to switch engine off it wouldnt switch off so disconnected wires in between the two coils so now im thinking this is where the kill switch should be fitted .So reconnected these two wires just to start engine again and got no spark at all checked all wiring exactly the same as when it first started if any ideas would be great to hear from anyone thanks gary

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 johnson 55 hp no spark

For starters, check out the black/yellow wire in the system. When that is grounded it kills the spark.

garyaye

Cadet

For starters, check out the black/yellow wire in the system. When that is grounded it kills the spark.

ok thanks will try this tomorrow night will let you know thanks gary

garyaye

Cadet

ok thanks will try this tomorrow night will let you know thanks gary
Hi disconnected the yellow and black still no spark was I meant to jump start engine or try and start as normal any other ideas as cant see I have blown anything by disconnecting the coil wires while it was running should I buy another ignition switc for starters thanks any help would be appreciated ta gary

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Powerpacks often dont like having their outlets leads suddenly disconnected while in use. The powerpacks for yours a quite common on other motors so if you know someone with that powerpack you may want to try it out.
Choke it or run it dry next time. I own a mid 70s merc and the stop button on it actually cuts the ground circuit on it. That puts tremendous stress on the stators and a few other things. Merc changed that as soon as it became apparent that was the outcome of their system design; In later manuals on that motor theres warnings about what using the manufactures stop button can do if used. They advice to choke to kill it.
So you do have to be careful what you pull out on all motors really

garyaye

Cadet

Powerpacks often dont like having their outlets leads suddenly disconnected while in use. The powerpacks for yours a quite common on other motors so if you know someone with that powerpack you may want to try it out.
Choke it or run it dry next time. I own a mid 70s merc and the stop button on it actually cuts the ground circuit on it. That puts tremendous stress on the stators and a few other things. Merc changed that as soon as it became apparent that was the outcome of their system design; In later manuals on that motor theres warnings about what using the manufactures stop button can do if used. They advice to choke to kill it.
So you do have to be careful what you pull out on all motors really yep definetly broke something think power pack as a lot of people have told me really gutted really engine was running really well can anyone direct me to anyone with a powerpack checked ebay nothing on there would appreciate your help thanks gary

Bosunsmate

Admiral

HI gary post the model number of your outboard and someone im sure will help you out. I am away for a few days so cant check but im very sure its the common one that goes for about $50 on Amazon ( I did check yesterday) and dont worry the motor will run even better.

garyaye

Cadet

HI gary post the model number of your outboard and someone im sure will help you out. I am away for a few days so cant check but im very sure its the common one that goes for about $50 on Amazon ( I did check yesterday) and dont worry the motor will run even better.hi the model number is 55075c 55hp Number on the power pack is 582889 thanks for all your help

garyaye

Cadet

Sorry put my reply on end of last thread model number is 55075c 55 Hp number on power pack is 582889 ta Gary

garyaye

Cadet

Just checked number again and it is defo and 0 55075c unless this a mistake by manufacturer