63' Evinrude Lightwin Help (rebuilt, now troubleshooting)

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, I'm new to the site but have been reading forever. Tons of priceless info has been found here! Anywho, I picked up a little lightwin the other day and decided to overhaul immediately. The compression is good and the guy I got it from claims it ran fine last it was started but I have no idea how long ago that was. I already ordered all new ignition parts as well as impeller and a recoil spring and carb kit/float. I have the carb off and apart and cleaned it and the jets pretty well with acetone also dumped some into the tank and cleaned out a bunch of hardened varnish. Any suggestions on getting the stubborn hardened varnish out of the tank completely? I know small bolts work ok. I managed to get the drain/vent plugs out from the lower unit and the oil looked pretty clean but smelled scorched. I pulled the ears and they all looked really good. I tried removing the two flathead screws to access the water pump but they wouldnt budge and I am paranoid about stripping them out and having a huge issue. Any thoughts on this? I have a harbor freight universal puller that I was going to use on the flywheel but again, I dont want to strip anything out so I might need to pickup some grade 8 bolts for it. Does anyone know the sie bolts I need to pick up? Hoping it is good to go once I get the parts on and carb built. I am using autolite equivalents to the j6c (autolite 303) is this ok? the old plugs looked pretty new, they were ngk's and had a good amount of carbon on them which I took as a sign that the motor was running to some degree since those plugs were installed. Any help or thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, do I need to order a seal kit for the lower unit? I understand I need some kind of gasket sealer for certain gaskets, can anyone tell me what I need? Thanks again!!! Fingers crossed!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 63' Evinrude Lightwin Help

Me thinks you should get an OEM Factory Service Manual. It will help you out with your present repairs and future ones.

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice

I have the service manual for the motor and it has been a great asset to my project. It's just those stubborn screws and the exact size of the bolts i need to pull the flywheel that has me stumped. I guess I need to get a new set of screwdrivers until I find one that fits the slot perfect. Maybe a socket style flathead for my ratchet? I'm still waiting on parts so I am trying to get the motor as prepped as possible. Is naptha safe to use in the gas tank and petcock to clean varnish out?

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, ordered a new driveshaft to crankshaft "o" ring as well as a new head gasket and new drain/fill washers. Still havent attempted the screws to access the water pump as my impeller hasnt arrived yet. Any thoughts on my choice of plugs? Also, what should I grease when I put the lower unit back together and reattach it to the motor? I have a tube of moly grease, will this be ok? Also need to get that flywheel off soon. Any thoughts on the correct bolt size I need to get from Lowe's to use with my puller? The cheap bolts that came with it will never do I assume....

lindy46

Captain

Why a head gasket? I thought compression was good? For the water pump housing bolts, spray them with penetrating oil and let sit for awhile. Then, when you go to remove them, DON'T force them. Use Champion J6C plugs for best results. Just a little waterproof grease on the splines on top of driveshaft. NO grease on top of shaft. Use grade 8 bolts and washers on the puller. Don't remember the exact size - just find a bolt in your toolbox that threads in and take that with you to the hardware store to match up. 3" length bolts should work. Make a mark on the bolts at 7/16" as that is how far you want to thread them into the flywheel.

AlTn

Commander

1/4" x 20 tpi , 2" x 3" L ..as Lindy states grade #8 Washers too..make take a couple of different size washers to keep keep the bolt heads from trying to pull through the slots in the puller feet

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 63' Evinrude Lightwin Help (lower unit/flywheel)

Thanks guys! I'll try to get those bolts on my way home from work. I got the head gasket really because it was available cheap. I figured I might as well go all out. I may not mess with it until after all the other work is done. I really appreciate the replies and advice. I have some pb blaster at the house, I guess this will work on those water pump housing screws or will it damage the seal inside?

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice

Oh man, Ive studied the heck out of that guys site. It's a great little write up than any lightwin owner should read. I just wish he had gone into detail on the lower unit...

kfa4303

Banned

Here are some links that can help with the LU too.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/max/index6.htm (great all around/impeller link)
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=277190&highlight=lower+unit+seal+kit+installation (lower unit reseal link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6xghWrEmSU&feature=BFa&list=UUqtXoVOxjtEKjjTKj0cFydg (lower unit rebuild vids, start here and watch the next few in sequence for the LU rebuild. The rest of the vids and walk you through an entire motor rebuild if you're interested)

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/278442/27844200001.htm

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for those links! I also found a lot of really good flywheel/ignition info (among other things) at leeroysramblings.com
Didnt get a chance to get my bolts to pull the flywheel but most of my parts arrived yesterday so I can get to work on the carb rebuild. I'm going to wait on the lower unit until my new seals show up but I hope to get into the majority of the work this afternoon. I'll keep you guys informed on my progress and thanks again for the responses! Fingers crossed!

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, got all my parts in, rebuilt the carb, replaced impeller, replaced all the ignition stuff. When I went to install the head gasket, I noticed that a couple of the bolts were in terrible shape and I would like to replace them. I'm definitely going to have to clean up the surfaces a bit with sandpaper. I've seen worse, but does anyone know if I can get replacement bolts from Lowes or do I need to order them special? The biggest pain and where I left off today is replacing the recoil spring in the pull starter. I could really use some advice. I need to remove the rope completely before installing the spring? Then advance the plate by hand, then install the rope? Very confusing and I sent the spring flying a few times....

nwcove

Admiral

your service manual doesnt cover the recoil??

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice

It does, but even with a huge printout of the exploded starter, its very tedious to get it done. I was being hasty and installing the spring with the rope still attached so, I think I can fix that issue at some point today. Whats the best way to clean the water channels under the head gasket? should I clean up the combustion chamber or tops of the pistons while its open?

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice

A little update, I picked up a can of seafoam and cleaned up the head area well, cleaned the water channels and cleaned the mating surface better. Reinstalled gasket and used a bit of gasket sealer on the bolts. After cleaning them, I found that it was just dried junk in the threads that I assumed was corrosion and had ruined the threads but after a soak, they seemed clean and in good shape. Still havent moved back to the recoil spring but I've found some pretty good tips on reinstalling so I'll try that when it stops raining....After its seafoam bath and fresh head gasket, I decided to give it a pull with some line on the flywheel as specified in the evinrude manual. I got a pop on the first pull and a nice puff of exhaust but then it wouldnt fire again...I'm thinking something is going on with the ignition, maybe I need to replace the plug wires or maybe I just need to recheck my work and get my meter out to test.

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 63' Evinrude Lightwin Help (rebuilt, now troubleshooting)

Question: What sort of spark plug wire should I be using for this motor? I've read that I cant just walk into the auto parts place and get modern plug wire for it. Also, after its seafoam bath and installing the new gasket, it is a million times easier to pull. I guess I got quite a bit of deposits out of there. Now, I think (hope) that the key to this engines rebirth is in the ignition. I dont think Im getting a good spark at the moment. It was a bit of trial and error when I was installing new parts and I had to adjust the coils a bit because the flywheel was rubbing the metal arms on the new coils. I'm thinking the cam got dirty or greasy, the plug wires are ancient and fouled, or something equally simple. Also, as far as lubricating the bottom of the stator plate, should I be using anything particular here or will my tube of moly-grease do the job? One last thing, am I correct in assuming that the round barrel attached to the top of the fuel petcock that screws onto the tank is the fuel filter? Can I replace this? I have read about adding an inline filter and changing the fuel line out. Mine is a brass tube that seems to be clog free. However, when I open the petcock, gas comes out pretty well but not what I would call a "steady flow". The Handle on the fuel valve is also spinning freely so I have to use something to open/close the valve everytime. I would love to replace the entire filter/petcock/valve assembly. Anyone know where I would obtain this stuff? Heck, maybe its been starved for fuel this whole time...

lindy46

Captain

Use 7mm Hypalon copper core plug wire. Make sure to thoroughly clean the magneto plate and especially the points before putting the flywheel back on. Even new points need cleaning - I usually spray them with carb cleaner. Grease the ring below the plate SPARINGLY! That fuel filter is soldered on. I'd try running some carb cleaner through the petcock to clean the filter. You're essentially blasting it from the inside out to remove the built up crud. You may be able to find the whole petcock unit on AOMCI.org.

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks lindy, I figured that was the filter. It just dribbles fuel, not a steady flow but a healthy dribble. I soaked it in naphtha but it didnt seem to help much. I read about a guy soaking his in Coke for a few days and it managed to help it a bit. If that doesnt work, I'm going to forgo it and try to add an inline filter in the middle of the copper fuel line. Its been raining for the past couple days and has kept me inside and away from my motor work. Hopefully I can pick up some plug wire and go ahead an re-tackle the ignition system. I didnt grease anything the first round and I think thats probably important. I'm all out of spray carb cleaner but I have a huge can of contact cleaner so I can use that on the points I reckon...

TerribleCJ

Seaman Apprentice

If if adding an inline filter, should I just drill out the metal one that screws into my gas tank?

nwcove

Admiral

if you can unscrew the scintered metal filter, id clean it , clean the tank spotless, and go with what you have.