Evinrude 250 ficht ram 2003 - engine turns off itself

ciferluis

Cadet
Good morning to you all. My name is Daniel and I'm writing from Italy. I am a happy owner of an outboard EVINRUDE 250 FICHT RAM 2003. But now I have some problems: after about 25-30 minutes the engine suddenly turns off by itself. No sound or visual signal from the tachometer. I tried to replace the tachometer to see if it was a problem but the tachometer is off again without leaving a light on or beep. 5 minutes after the engine starts normally. I noticed, however, that the relay (5 pin) located behind the unit EMM sometimes did not work and bridging the two wires of the engine was restarted. Unfortunately, sometimes this is not enough even bypassing the relay and in this case I had to wait 5-10 minutes after the engine is restarted. I want to specify that the units EMM is never hot and the cooling circuit of the same functions properly. I noticed that the problem occurs when i increase speed or when I decrease it. Could it be an electrical problem related to the lever command? :facepalm: thanks to all those who are able to give me a hint before making a full diagnosis at a service center EVINRUDE BRP.

Daniele

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 250 ficht ram 2003 - engine turns off itself

Try making a jumper wire that comes from the battery cable on the starter solenoid to the purple/red wire that goes into the PDP panel. Then go out for test drive, if it stays running then your PDP is most likely at fault.

You can back probe the purple/ red with a paper clip crimped to the jumper wire.

ciferluis

Cadet

Try making a jumper wire that comes from the battery cable on the starter solenoid to the purple/red wire that goes into the PDP panel. Then go out for test drive, if it stays running then your PDP is most likely at fault.

You can back probe the purple/ red with a paper clip crimped to the jumper wire.

So you think that the PDP panel would be in fault....In case positive, i've to completely remove it or can i repair it?
The PDP panel is this:

2010-08-21_231156_250_Ficht_wire_diagram_edited.jpg

Which is the purple/red wire that goes into the PDP panel ? please, can you evidence it ?
I ask to you this because I would not damage the engine. However, I will not be doing the work but a friend of mine who worked for several years in the EVINRUDE ....

thank you

Daniele

ciferluis

Cadet

So you think that the PDP panel would be in fault....In case positive, i've to completely remove it or can i repair it?
The PDP panel is this:

View attachment 167484

Which is the purple/red wire that goes into the PDP panel ? please, can you evidence it ?
I ask to you this because I would not damage the engine. However, I will not be doing the work but a friend of mine who worked for several years in the EVINRUDE ....

thank you

Daniele

Please, can you describe in detail (maybe with a drowing) how I've to do the connections? :confused:

thank you very very much !

Daniele

woody66912

Back prob, the switched b+ to main power relay letter (L) purple sorry I thought it had a red tracer.

Get a jumper wire with the alligator clips, clip one side to the battery side of the starter solenoid, it might be better to just use a straight pin and poke though the (L) wire, clip to pin and secure connections with tape so nothing comes lose and go for ride.

ciferluis

Cadet

Back prob, the switched b+ to main power relay letter (L) purple sorry I thought it had a red tracer.

Get a jumper wire with the alligator clips, clip one side to the battery side of the starter solenoid, it might be better to just use a straight pin and poke though the (L) wire, clip to pin and secure connections with tape so nothing comes lose and go for ride.

Hi Mr. woody66912 !

Ther'is me another time ! lol

I think you now can not hardly stand me but I ask one more effort: try looking at the pictures I sent to you of my PDP (Image_1 and IMAGE_2) and solenoid (IMAGE_3 and IMAGE_4). (I send to you also IMAGE_5, IMAGE_6, IMAGE_7 describing the bridge running). From what has kindly written:
IMAGE_01_PDP.jpgIMAGE_02_PDP_L_wire.jpgIMAGE_03_solenoid.jpgIMAGE_04_solenoid.jpgIMAGE_05_bridge.jpg
a) it is correct to connect the cable "L" of IMAGE_2 with the cable (A) of IMAGE_3?
b) What kind section or diameter must have the cable should I use?

c) during the "test" have i to keep the bridge or have i to put the original relay ?

Ok...I think you are feeling yourself like talking to a dummy....Sorry! ;-)

Thank you again for all that you will be able to clarify. thanks a lot. Daniele

ciferluis

Cadet

Here, there is IMAGE_6 and IMAGE_7

IMAGE_06_bridge.jpgIMAGE_07_bridge.jpg

Thank you

Daniele

woody66912

Yes jump from (a) to (L).

ciferluis

Cadet

Hi ! today I tried the link. nothing to do. the engine works well and after a while turned off. after 5 minutes is allocated and returned. What do you recommend? change all the relay? thank you. Daniele

woody66912

The jumper was a quick check of the pdp. I think you will have to have a dealer plug the laptop up to it and see what all is going on, there are just too many things that could be the problem, once the codes have been looked at if there are any?. Then it becomes a process of elimination.

Fuel
ignition
stator output
electrical
EMM?

Back in the day we use to swap out a emm off another engine in the yard , but those days are far and few between now.
One thing you need to do is check and monitor fuel pressure. Leave the gauge hooked up while test driving.

iziox32'

Recruit

I have the exact same problem ...
there is none that I can aiutatre? I did make a diagnosis by dealer evinrude but not riesulta no error on the controller. : (

iziox32'

Recruit

I have the exact same problem ...
there is none that I can aiutatre? I did make a diagnosis by dealer evinrude but not riesulta no error on the controller. : (

Please help meeeee!!!!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This thread is over 90 days old ! Please read the rules at the top of the forum and start a new one!! Thank you.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Hello guys
i am working in the Evinrude v6 ficht ram 135 hp outboard
here is the problem,no crank in the starter motor and the trim tilt motor not function but have 12v in the solenoid
Can someone help me pls.?

Read the post directly above and by the way where is Boobie?
And check your fuse