Alarm in remote control box replacement 1995 60hp evinrude

phillnjack2

Ensign
Model no BE60TLEOC
Serial no G 03751787
year 1995 USA

The alarm/buzzer/horn module in my remote control box is definitely dead.:eek:
I couldnt get anything from it when testing and so took it apart to just see whats in it.
The wires were just so corroded there is no way of repairing it at all.

I am wondering if there is a different make that i can simply replace it with or does it
need to be an omc alarm....the part number for mine is 585993.

I ask if there is a different make, as many people have said these Alarms/Buzzers often go bad !!!:mad:

Any help or info would be good,as i dont want to be running around with no temperature alarm.
The vro is disconnected,so i dont have any oil alarm issues.
The alarm i hope will atleast let me know of any over heating problems before engine goes Bang.

Pics of Alarm module Below

.Back  of Buzzer alarm.jpgfront of Buzzer-Alarm.jpg

phill....:)

Last edited:

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Alarm in remote control box replacement 1995 60hp evinrude

It doesn't neccessarily need to be OMC but, it would fit the controller better if it was. It's good that you are aware of it's importance so my suggestion is stay with OMC even if it's more money.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you don't want the OMC one there are after market ones out there that you can wire in and put under your dash.

I wired up a Radio Shack siren. It would not fit in the controller but is water proof. The only difference is that it does not beep when you turn the key. however testing all the other alarms (high temp, Oil Low, No oil) it works great. Here is a pic I just ran the wire out the plug in my controller.

Cost 10 bucks. CAT #273-068
Siren Retrofit.jpg

phillnjack2

Ensign

Well ive been looking around and found a good few little buzzers/ alarms that i could fit in the controller.
But im now a bit concerned about whats the best frequency to use.

i.e would a 95 decibel tone at 3000hz be ok or does it need to be higher or lower in the hertz region ?

ihave no idea what the originals are and cannot find anywhere to tell what they are.
i would like to get as close as possible so i can hear it and not be trying to hear something that
will be drowned out by the engine.
if anyone knows what the originals are i would be gratefull, or a link to a site to let me know.

or a link to one i can listen to etc

phill........

I can only speak from experience. Mine is plenty loud. my measurement is how annoyed I have gotten while working on my VRO Oil tank, Engine running at the back of the boat it still is loud enough to pierce my ears and make me want to unplug it. 2900Hz 80db.

Did you find one with the ground wire so it will beep when you turn the key?

phillnjack2

Ensign

I couldnt get one with a ground wire that makes it beep when key is turned, but i did get one that is very annoying and will definitely
be easy to hear it over the engine sound.
My Vro has been taken off and i just need an alarm for overheat warning.
I will now be looking at getting a water pressure guage and temp guage as well .
I like to have every possible chance of seeing things working as they should, and any possible issues to be heard and seen fast.

The little alarm buzzer i got was a maplins one for just ?2.79, its over 90db and 2khz , a single clear penetrating sound.

I used the front of the original buzzer so everything looks good on the control box,it fitted easy and seems to work good.

Now i just hope i never hear it apart from when being tested on the engine....

Thanks for info and ideas to people on this forum.

i will kep an eye out for a 3 wired one though in future.

phill