Internal Gear case Damage 2005 Johnson 50hp

hooterville

Seaman
I finally got my gear case took apart where i damaged all the gears and the clutch dog broke apart. I know what parts need to be replaced but am wondering how much damage a gear case can handle internally?

After all the gears,drive shaft, prop shaft is pulled out I noticed in the area where the Drive shaft comes down metal shavings have dug down into the gear case housing and pitted up the metal,mostly the bottom. Can the housings be sleeved if to damaged.I don't believe any other damage has been done to the housing especially warping anything or damaging the areas where bearings would seat when building it back.

I'll probably take it in to a mechanic to look it over. Pretty sure I can rebuild it no problem if the housing isn't toast. Looked on Ebay and 95% of the parts i need cost around $600------ other sites and dealers will be $1000 or better. Rebuilt unit is $1700-$2500

What have some of you guys seen in internal damage that s acceptable.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Internal Gear case Damage 2005 Johnson 50hp

I have seen some pretty chewed up gear cases used without any problems. As long as there are no cracks, the bearing and seal contact areas are not damaged, you can probably reuse it. But, if you have doubts, have a professional shop take a look at it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Look it over REAL good for any cracks. It would be a shame to spend the money on gears and ect and then find out you have water intrusion.

hooterville

Seaman

Thanks for info guys. I will give it a good once over and take it into a outboard mechanic before I purchase any parts.