9.5 Evinrude flywheel removal and spark plug anti-seize

terrysandlin

Seaman
In replacing the spark plugs (J4C) in my 9.6 1964 Evinrude, should I use anti-seize. (30 years ago when I last worked on car engines, I always used anti-seize.) I have been told that the new Champions are already coated and one should not use anti-seize because you could over tighten them. The NAPA parts man told me when I was picking up the plugs that I should go ahead and use anti-seize. I will be using a torque wrench. What should I do?

What size of bolt and threads on the holes in the face of the flywheel should I get in using a harmonic balancer in removing the flywheel?

Thanks for your help in the past. This forum is a lifesaver.

Terry Sandlin

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 9.5 Evinrude flywheel removal and spark plug anti-seize

Yea, I used to use anti-seize on cars with cast iron heads, but I do not use anti-seize on outboard heads made out of aluminum(?).
If I remember correctly, the thread size is 1/4 x 20, make sure to use grade 8 bolts.

reelfishin

Captain

You need a 3/4" socket to remove the flywheel nut. Any 3 bolt puller will work, leave the nut on but loose to protect the threads.

Anti-seize is fine, I use it on just about all motors to protect the threads. You don't need to crank down on those plugs like you do on an old iron head car engine, all you need to do is tighten them enough to crush the gasket.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I never use anti-seize on the plugs. Run the plug in till it's finger tight and then give it 1/4 turn with a socket. You're dealing with a 3/8 " reach spark plug and it's easy to strip the threads.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you use anti-seize, be careful what you buy. Most have some copper content which is not good with aluminum. You could end up creating corrosion.

terrysandlin

Seaman

Thanks for the information. I believe that for now, I will not use the anti-seize.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Smart move............