1968 evinrude triumph 55 hp

jrsanchez

Recruit
I found a plastic hose that is not connected, there is no fluid residue in it. I looked around and at the front bottom I found a nozzle looking tjing that I belive is where it goes. Could this b a vaccum line?? My motor doesnt seem to b running at full power. It is on a 15ft. Fiberglass bglasply and I am only going about 15 mph. Thought of replacing battery cables, spark plugs. took it out yesterday and besides the speed problem we were out for a couple hours and were pulling small children on a tube, we shut it off for about 3 min. And the battery died. We got a jump from another boat we ran it for about 20 min but when we came into the marina I throttled down to low and a,cidentaly killed it. We were unable to get it started again. Shouldn't the alternator of charged the battery enough?? Or could it just b a bad battery?? Please help. I'm new to boating and just getting irritated. The model num is 55873r

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 evinrude triumph 55 hp

It sounds like you are talking about the air box drain hose. Just reconnect it, but that won't fix your problem. All the hose does is capture and recycle the fuel that may drip from the air box.

No way can we diagnose your problem from the sketchy symptoms you give. Your motor probably is not running on all 3 cylinders. Check compression, spark and carburetors. Any of the 3 can cause the problem.

As for your battery, first take it and have it load tested. Many auto parts stores such as Auto Zone will do it free. Even some Wal Marts.

If the battery checks out ok, you will need to check to see if your alternator is working You do that by attaching a volt meter to the battery and running the motor. Voltage should increase when the motor runs. If not working, test the rectifier.

Don't get discouraged, but you do have a lot to learn. Goes with the game when you buy a boat that is not proven to be in good running condition.