1998 Johnson 150 Ocean Runner Start Failure

tmb57

Recruit
1st post here so thanks to all in advance. 1st trip on newly acquired 1998 Mako 20/1998 Johnson 150. Initial start to motor required full advance of throttle in neutral and application of key choke. Motor warmed up fine: no excessive smoke, good water coolant pressure, no motor alarms. Motor ran perfectly through idle, power up, & cruise rpms to destination (approx 35 minutes). Motor started perfectly after lunch and again after fueling (filled tank from 1/4 to full) with throttle in neutral detent position (no advance of throttle needed). Motor ran perfectly back to home dock and tie-up. 2 hours later motor turns over fine but, will not start. Fuel and oil primer bulbs checked with appropriate pressure to each. Attempted to start motor with throttle in neutral detent positon and with throttle in advanced neutral position without result. Not even a hint of fire. Reset install of cut off lanyard without result. Since I am brand new to this motor and the failure was so abrupt, I was wondering whether I was missing a simple and obvious solution. Many thanks. Tom

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1998 Johnson 150 Ocean Runner Start Failure

the proper way to start those motors is to push the key in and hold it for 10 seconds, or to pump the key 10 times...( its priming the carb) then start the motor but dont rev the throttle....the quick start feature should give the motor the gas it needs...i am pretty sure ,once you throttle the control either in nuetral or gear you dissable the quick start feature...

the factory manual has a series of steps to isolate your problem if it isnt the based on THE WAY you start your motor. your stop circuit could be tripped...or your ingintion switch could be bad . Or your shift selector cutoff could be bad( so you dont start in gear)

bob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Did you take a spark test to see if there was any spark at the plugs? If no spark, disconnect black/yellow wire (spark killer wire) at keyswitch and try to start it. If she fires up, reconnect and see if she stalls. if so, you may have a bad ign keyswitch. Also check for shorts in that wire, especially in the motor harness.

tmb57

Recruit

thanks to bob & chris for the info. I will try both methods upon my return to the boat this weekend. tom

martyweir

Cadet

X2 on Bob's suggestion. I have a 97 Ocean Pro 200, and these can be tough to start cold. I usually hold the key in for about 10 seconds. SOmetimes fires right up, sometimes takes a few tries... Definitely just use the key choke without touching the throttle.