1994 Evinrude 8HP Kill Switch

ptarmigan61

Recruit
Hello All,
I have an inherited 8HP Evinrude Twin. I have been trying to start it, but there was no spark.
On a related note, when getting familiar with the controls (it didn't come with an operators manual), I noticed that the kill switch had an odd design. You have to pull on it to make it move; pushing produces no result. It's awkward, but - oh well, I thought. (It's a red one in the tiller handle about half way back from the end of the handle.)

Then, when trying to start it - out of desperation - I pulled out on the kill switch while roping it over, and it fired! I was able to start it, and it ran fine as long as I held the kill switch know out. This obviously can't be the way it's supposed to work. Any suggestions? Has it got the wrong switch, or is it wired wrong? It's possible work was done on it, but it was my Dad's motor and he is no longer with us.

Ay suggestions are appreciated.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1994 Evinrude 8HP Kill Switch

you are missing the safety lanyard that clips onto the red button and holds it out. ( it comes with a long plastic coiled cord that also attaches to the person operating the motor, so if you fall over if pulls out of the red button and kills the motor) go to your local dealer and buy one, or order one right here on iboats. the actual kill switch should be on the end of the tiller handle....just a push in button.