Motor ran great all summer, then just stopped dead--2003 Johnson 50

lakelover

Rear Admiral
My summer boating season just ended with a ----- fizzle! :( But it could have been worse.

The motor started & ran great on the first test run last November and also all summer. We had our last boat ride on the lake, ran great. On the trip to the boat ramp to take it out yesterday, it still ran great.

As I approached the ramp area, I gradually throttled back and was approaching at about 1250-1500 rpm when it just stopped dead in forward gear about 100 yards out, and wouldn't restart. 3/4 tank of gas, it turns over but no start, no warnings from the system check gauges, good power from the battery. I paddled a way toward the ramp, then some wind gusts made it difficult, so I was towed in the last 40-50 yards by a couple very helpful fishermen.

Last fall & spring, I replaced the water pump and the OMS pump. I have a shop manual, but don't know where to start. Can you point me in the right direction?

BTW, hope you all had a great Labor Day weekend!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Motor ran great all summer, then just stopped dead--2003 Johnson 50

The answer is in the Top Secret File. Go there -

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check your spark first. It should jump a 7/16 " open air gap on a spark tester.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

It's raining today & I have to work outside, but thanks for the starting points. I'll start getting at it ASAP.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I had a chance to look at it this morning. I put the muffs on & just tried to start first, no go. Then I checked each plug for spark by grounding it with a jumper, and no spark on either one. Both were wet with gas though.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a chance to look at it this morning. I put the muffs on & just tried to start first, no go. Then I checked each plug for spark by grounding it with a jumper, and no spark on either one. Both were wet with gas though.

disconect the black with yellow stripe off the power pack then check for spark if you do have spark then the problem is either that wire or in your ignition switch

heres a great link for trouble shooting the ignition system
http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/doc...t.xml&backgroundColor=000000&showFlipBtn=true

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I'm a real amateur here.....I loosened the lower cover so I could get at the power pack...I don't see any way to disconnect just the black/yellow wire, is there a trick to it? I unplugged the connector, but there are other wires there also that I have no idea what they go to, so didn't try the spark test again.

w-ignition_6809.jpg

Edit: You can see that I spliced a yellow wire up above last fall, the connection is still good, I was told that has to do with the charging system? I don't think that is any problem, the new battery stayed charged well all season.

Reading through the info in the link provided above, I am wondering if the rectifier could be the problem...The reason I spliced the yellow wire last year was that it was burned through in the middle, so.... I spliced it for the first run I made with it, all worked fine, so I didn't think much about it again. Couldn't see any reason it would be burned through at the time, didn't seem to be worn or grounding out or anything. Did wonder about it though.

w-rectifier_6811.jpg

The ignition switch was mentioned...I know new parts can go bad, but the whole ignition switch/control/harness/motor only has about 25-30 hours on it since I installed them new (except the motor of course.).

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral

you need to disconnect the five pin amphenol connector. Then make some jumper wires with male and female amphenol connectors at either end. Then jump the four wires that are not black and yellow. If you have spark problem is usually in the switch. Did you remember to check your kill switch FIRST?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The safety lanyard is on the switch, which pulls it out to operating position. I looked around on the net a bit for the amphenol connectors, hard to find, but I found this jumper: http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/CDI511-73W/CDITOOLS I'm not sure how far I'm going to be able to pursue this issue myself so I want to invest as little as I can for now.

I'd just as soon make my own, any idea where to find them locally that won't cost an arm & a leg? Found some online that work out to about 50+ cents apiece for the ends, but have to buy a bunch & comes out to more than the jumper..

AlTn

Commander

I've had luck using a finishing nail and rubbing alcohol to push the pins out of the plug...needle nose vice grips to grip and push the finishing nail < right size as "dimple" in the nail head fits the head of the pin >, the rubbing alcohol as a lube..reinsert carefully with needle nosed pliars...that set of 5 jumpers comes in handy diagnosing electronic ignition probs

Sureshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You could also cut the wire above the amphenol and install some type of quick connect. Handy for troubleshooting. Those amphenol connectors are a pain.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks for all the help so far, I'm a real novice at this end of things.:rolleyes:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Amphenol connectors are not a pain if you have the right tools to work on them. You know? sometimes we need the correct tools to work on these outboards. If you don't have them you're peeing in the wind. That also goes for multimeters, DVA's and Service Manuals.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

You got that right. That's why I wanted to try some simpler stuff to begin with, I'll know when I'm really over my head & will have to get it serviced. I like to know what's going on before that if I can though, so I don't get hosed.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Not getting hosed, just trying to explain some basic things you need to work on these mtrs. But I've only been doing it for over 40 yrs.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Not getting hosed, just trying to explain some basic things you need to work on these mtrs. But I've only been doing it for over 40 yrs.

I appreciate your help, and you are right, I'm not doubting your ability or experience. The "getting hosed" comment was not directed at you. The fact is not all service centers available in a given area are "customer oriented" let's say, and I like to go in knowing what I might be dealing with, just so I can look out for myself.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I highly agree with your comment on the "service centers ".

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just an update....I haven't vanished, but haven't been able to proceed on this because of family weddings, and a back injury. But I haven't given up on pursuing this some myself. I want to check it out as soon as I am able.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

OK, three weddings out of the way and the back is normal again.

I bought the amphenol jumper and tested for spark, not connecting the black/yellow wire. There was a spark...what's next?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If I'm not mistaken the black and yellow wire is part of the "stop" circuit . If your key switch is new the lanyard switch or wiring may be bad.
Or perhaps the wire at the key switch has come off or shorted to ground somehow.
It seems unlikely a new switch is bad.