ocean pro 200 compression check - starter motor drops out at 90 psi

Status
Not open for further replies.

e36m3e

Cadet
so I'm working on my friends boat as you all know. doing a comp check I am jumping the starter solenoid to engage the starter. it cranks a few times and then the bendix retracts and stops turning the motor.

from my experience this is not normal. I have all the plugs out and the battery is strong...on charge actually. the motor does this rarely on the water because the motor usually starts pretty quick. time for a starter rebuild too?

thanks in advance for any ideas.

-Eric

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: ocean pro 200 compression check - starter motor drops out at 90 psi

If you have all the plugs out, put two plugs back in on opposite banks finger tight and see what happens.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Screw all the plugs in finger tight except for the cylinder that you are testing. That evens out the compression surges that kick out the starte bendix

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've had this happen to me before and it usually only took two plugs. But, what ever works.

Norsemen9

Cadet
e36m3e did You resolve your issue?.....was wondering, as I have a '96 Ocean Pro 200 that is doing the same thing during normal operation. Mostly on a "cold" start I turn the key switch the started turns and the Bendix gear only engages until the engine begins to start. At that point the Bendix gear drops away from the flywheel.

Please let me know if You found a solution?

Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Norsemen9

This thread is almost 5 years old and e36 has left the building back then

Please read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.