Custom paint scheme for 1950's Johnson motors.

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I see classic cars from the 1950's, I see many that are custom painted in unique and interesting hot rod themes. Since the omc motors from the 50's share many of the classic lines as automobiles from the same era, it seems that these would be a wonderful canvas to play with, and get a really unique look.
Most of what I see on the boards are restorations, to varying degrees of authenticity, to make the motor look factory new. They look great, but the same.
Why does it seem to be uncool to "hotrod" a classic boat motor in the same way that a classic car is hotrodded, especially since they are so available and cheap?
(I have an idea for a cool paint scheme, but I'm afraid to be one of the first to jump off the deep end.) :D

Just trying to get some input on this idea

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Custom paint scheme for 1950's Johnson motors.

Go for it, lets see it. :D

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't go anything radical but when I bought my 89 48 SPL it had peeling labels and I really didn't care for the stickers anyway.

I decided to do my own thing went very simple and clean. White cowl and just an old style Johnson logo.

Check the second post in this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=576030

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1958 Johnson Seahorse that I think would look cool done in an old school Alabama football theme, with Bear Bryant houndstooth accents. The holiday bronze and white are close to Alabama football colors already.

yorab

Ensign

Go for it dockrat. It's your motor and you're the one putting in the elbow grease and cash. Do something that makes you smile, even if it is football colors ;)

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 0

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Go for it dockrat. It's your motor and you're the one putting in the elbow grease and cash. Do something that makes you smile, even if it is football colors ;)

Wow- talk about detail :eek:
Great job!!!

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just dropped the Cowl from a 1956 5.5 hp Seahorse off with a friend from church. Very talented artist. I wanted to get some input on a few design ideas I had, and he told me my ideas would look wrong.:(
Then he offered to go crazy with it, and I left it with him. :D I don't know what it will look like yet, but I will post pics when I get it back.
It will be in Alabama Crimson Tide football colors, with Bear Bryant accents. Excited to see what it looks like!