2003 Johnson Bombardier 90 HP Gear Problems

atj51

Cadet
2003 - 90HP Johnson (OMC) Bombardier - I ran all day yesterday and as we arrived back in the creek before loading it on the trailer, I noticed I've lost reverse completely. When I shift the throttle down to put in reverse I noticed I had to use a little more force to shift it and once it "clicked" into what I thought was reverse, it only idles fast. Any ideas/suggestions?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2003 Johnson Bombardier 90 HP Gear Problems

It goes into forward ok though, have you checked the lower unit oil for metal flakes?
Will it shift into reverse if you disconnect the shift cable and shift it manually at the engine?

atj51

Cadet

I haven't checked the lower unit. Forgive me for being a bit of a "novice" at this, but where would I disconnect the shift cable from? I've done lots of odds and ends to this boat, but have never touched anything regarding the gear(s).

If this helps, it does run forward fine, just absolutely no reverse.

atj51

Cadet

Checked that - all seems ok there. Could you briefly elaborate on the lower unit regarding the "metal flakes"? That just sounds really bad to me and hope it's not something hugely expensive to repair.

Thanks for the tidbits thus far.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It usually is, remove the drain screw and drain some oil out of the lower unit, does it have any metal particles in it? If so, it means you have some damage to the metal gears, or other parts in the lower unit and it will have to come apart to find the damage.

atj51

Cadet

10-4, thanks again. will check and post back this week. will you monitor this thread by chance?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I usually try and monitor the threads that I have contributed to.

atj51

Cadet

I finally had time to drain the lower end oil (football season is here, so not much time on weekends). The only thing I can tell you is that the oil was really really dark and I didn't notice any metal flakes in the drip pan. The two screws I removed had what looked like possibly metal on the ends of the screws. I wiped them off and it was almost like graphite in a powder-like form. I'm not certain if metal flakes were in the oil, if they'd be easy to recognize or not. Any other ideas? What other possibilities could be reasoning for the reverse gear gone?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Did you remove the shift cable and shift it manually, will it go into reverse manually?

atj51

Cadet

Again, forgive me for not knowing exactly how to do this....Do I need to simply disconnect the shift cable at the engine?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Yes, disconnect the shift cable at the engine, run the engine on a hose and see if it will shift properly by moving the shift linkage on the engine by hand.

atj51

Cadet

Yes, disconnect the shift cable at the engine, run the engine on a hose and see if it will shift properly by moving the shift linkage on the engine by hand.

Thanks. Will work on that this evening and report back.

atj51

Cadet

do you have any way of knowing the number of hours on your 90

Jim

Unfortunately, I don't. It's a 2003 and I know it's been used a good bit, but would be stabbing in the dark to try and guess the number of hours.