Evinrude 150 cylinder head leak

richterolds

Cadet
Help!
Just finished putting my cylinder heads back on after cleaning out the salt and corrosion. I torqued to service manual specs (20 ft. Lbs.), but they weep water out the edges. Anyone know if I can increase the torque..or 'till it stops leaking?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 150 cylinder head leak

What year is that V6... model number?

They shouldn't be leaking to start with. Did you carefully clean the sealing surfaces of the crankcase and heads, checking for problem areas (corrosion, small gouges, etc) as you went along?

I assume the head gaskets were new? The maximum bolt torque is 18 to 20 foot pounds, no higher and must be tightened in three or four steps, in the following sequence. If tightened in any other sequence (for example, top bolts to bottom bolts), it cannot seal properly.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you use new head gaskets ??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Joe, we posted at the same time. LOL.

richterolds

Cadet

This is a 1983 E150TRLCTE. Brand new head gaskets. I wire wheeled the cylinder bolts, cleaned the block threads with brake clean and air. I torqued in the book sequence. My old gaskets were printed not to use sealer...so I didn't. Polished all the mating surfaces with a 120 x 3 m rol- loc disc.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Other than to mention that I always apply a little anticorrosive grease to the bolt threads, I can add nothing to that.

I'm not familiar with the 120x3M rollover disc. Is that a sandpaper disc powered by an electrical tool?

richterolds

Cadet

Sorry..it auto corrected. Should be 3M Rol- loc. They are flexible fingers used in an a air tool. I used gasket sealer on all the threads. Wondering if you can really get just 20 lbs. on a bolt hole that is that old. Maybe I should have chased all the threads, but the bolts all went in almost with no effort til they touched the head.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Gasket sealer on the bolts is good.

I always clean the sealing surfaces carefully with a scraper, then just as carefully (by hand) finish the surfaces off with 320 wet or dry (DRY). I'm wondering if the air tool may have cause a slight gouge here and there... not familiar with 3M Rol-Loc but will look into it.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What brand of gasket did you use. I have had several Sierra gaskets do the same thing.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Did you check the heads to make sure that they were not warped?

richterolds

Cadet

Used BRP gaskets. Heads seemed to be fine when layed down on glass sheet.

richterolds

Cadet

Ok, new info this am. Just pulled one of the heads and it DOES NOT say "Do Not Use Sealer" - (unlike the two I took out..)
Anyone install new cylinder heads from BRP and use sealer?

AlTn

Commander

made the same mistake you did on a 9.9, cleaning the sealing surfaces on both the deck of the block and the head with a 3M 400# grit disc. Sierra head gasket...water stream the diameter of a tooth pick from port side of the head. Removed the head and had it machined, used a BRP head gasket and all was well.

With the heads on a plate of glass, can you slide any portion of a piece of notebook paper under the edge of the head? If so, you may consider having it machined, or surfacing it with the figure 8 pattern and some emory cloth/ sandpaper taped or adhered to the glass. Several youtube vids on head surfacing in this manner.

richterolds

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I just took a nice picture off of our wall, (my wife is NOT happy..) and used the glass to check the head. You can barely slide a piece of paper under one corner..seems like it shouldn't be enough to make it leak, but what do I know...(apparently not much). Did you use gasket sealer on your BRP gasket?

AlTn

Commander

no...the brp gasket was much more "forgiving" than the sierra gasket in the water sealing areas...I bought a piece 24" x 36" of "double thickness" glass at a glass replacement outfit ~ $16 and have done the figure 8 surfacing on 2 or 3 heads...sorta time consuming..to have the head "shaved" at the machine shop was ~ $20

richterolds

Cadet

Thank you..been a big help. I think I'll get a thick piece of glass (like you did) on Tuesday, and do the same thing. I also chased the block head bolt threads just now..maybe that will eliminate any "false torque" before the head is really tight.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the head gasket doesn't say " use no sealer" either use OMC gasket sealing compond or Permatex #3 on them.

richterolds

Cadet

Thanks..I can't imagine the gasket sealer could hurt anyway.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Used that on gaskets for years before the " no sealer" thing came out.

richterolds

Cadet

OK..new update. Chased threads in block..re-installed head with gasket sealer. Starboard head is NOT leaking anymore..(one down)...port side still is..outside near #4 cylinder. Took it off again, and it looks like the block is a little worn at the leak area. Anyone used a sealant to make up for the difference? My shop is a Stihl power tools dealer, and they use a sealant called Dirko on cylinder blocks. Thought I might try that unless someone else has used something better. (By the way, the head seems to be almost "dead on".)