1973 6 Hp evinrude water pumping only when in gear

Painter913

Recruit
Just picked up a 1973 evinrude 6hp. It only pumps water when put in gear. Is that by design? I only had it in a garbage can.

Also have to turn it to almost full throttle to start It and stalls out when lower throttle.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 6 Hp evinrude water pumping only when in gear

Just picked up a 1973 evinrude 6hp. It only pumps water when put in gear. Is that by design? I only had it in a garbage can. Also have to turn it to almost full throttle to start It and stalls out when lower throttle.

No, that's not by design..... If the water level was 3 or 4 inches above where the lower unit bolts up (water pump location) and it would pump in neutral, that indicates the pump requires replacing.

If you have compression and spark on both cylinders and it won't idle down, suspect a fouled carburetor.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 6 Hp evinrude water pumping only when in gear

The driveshaft is always turning when the engine is running, the shifting takes place below the
water pump, in the gearcase. So I suspect what you're seeing is just that the pump is only
sending enough pressure into the block when run at high rpm's. I think Joe is right, the pump
requires replacing. He's also right that about the carb...