Video: Fine tune your points on a small engine with a Volt Ohm Meter.

Kevin60181

Seaman Apprentice
In this detailed video I show how to fine tune your points adjustments on a small engine with a Volt Ohm Meter. For perfect setting each time.
This video is done on a 1956 Evinrude, 15 HP outboard engine. Model # 15016. This will work on Johnson Outboards also. I don?t see why this can?t be done on any small engine with points and condenser, like a lawn mower. No more messing with a feeler gauge.

Here's the link to YouTube:
http://youtu.be/ga1Cjymj6ms

Filming this video took way longer to do, then the actual process it self. Hope that this helps someone out.
Happy Boating!

Attachments

• s_0756.jpg
    s_0756.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 0
  • shark boat.jpg
    shark boat.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 0

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Video: Fine tune your points on a small engine with a Volt Ohm Meter.

Nice video!
F_R does make an indicator fixture gauge (like the factory tool) that you can use to do this without putting the flywheel on.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great job! I was really impressed that you took the time to explain every detail (i.e. how an ohm meter works etc). This will undoubtedly help many people.
I just did the same procedure on a couple of 9.5s, (a 66 and a 72) and it is exactly as your video shows except with my 9.5s (and some other motors I'm sure) the kill switch wires go to the points so you can use them for the ohm meter connection instead of running a temporary wire.
Thanks again.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ill second investing in one of F_Rs timing fixtures, one of my favourite tools in my box. Makes setting the points a breeze.

Another small point, no need to loosen the points securement screw when adjusting, the eccentric will work fine with the securement screw tight. Makes minor adjusting easier. Also, when installing new points, set the points so that they open at the first hash mark, when using used points, set the points so they open exactly between the marks.

The coil for the top cylinder is always over the carb, or front of the motor in case you forget.

Kevin60181

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all for the complements on this video. I can?t even recall the last time I worked on a set of points, plus this is my 1st small engine.

I can see how that F_R gauge would make this job a lot easier. Seeing I?m not going into the small engine business, I can?t see investing in that tool for just one engine tune up every few years. Others with money to spare, or tool freaks just might.
Hum!
Being a tool freak myself and into good old American bartering, I would love to do that video again showing how easy it makes setting points with that tool. Plus I?d like to redo a few minor mistakes I made in the video.
Along with including your web address super imposed in the video. YouTube doesn?t like links in there postings.
I can?t guarantee any sales, but anyone watching the video will know where to get one!

Thank you all again at iboats.com for your forum and those ?Top Secret Files? at
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Pictures are great, but seeing is believing!

Attachments

• s_0739a.jpg
    s_0739a.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you all for the complements on this video. I can?t even recall the last time I worked on a set of points, plus this is my 1st small engine.

I can see how that F_R gauge would make this job a lot easier. Seeing I?m not going into the small engine business, I can?t see investing in that tool for just one engine tune up every few years. Others with money to spare, or tool freaks just might.
Hum!
Being a tool freak myself and into good old American bartering, I would love to do that video again showing how easy it makes setting points with that tool. Plus I?d like to redo a few minor mistakes I made in the video.
Along with including your web address super imposed in the video. YouTube doesn?t like links in there postings.
I can?t guarantee any sales, but anyone watching the video will know where to get one!

Thank you all again at iboats.com for your forum and those ?Top Secret Files? at
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Pictures are great, but seeing is believing!

great vid. could use some editing though.