Cold starting 1979 Johnson 55hp

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,
I am hoping for any suggestions on how to improve a cold start on this engine. Engine has been rebuilt and just broken in. Originally after rebuild it started good....maybe 1 or 2 stalls but she would then start purring and runs great when warm. Now it stalls out up to 10 times before it finally gets warm enough and runs great. I have a solenoid choke and have also tried manually closing the choke but it still has a rough go. I have recently replaced the plugs and gapped them correctly. Looking for any ideas? Thanks.

mark1961

Ensign
Re: Cold starting 1979 Johnson 55hp

Are you running Champion QL77JC4's?.....you will tend to flood it using the manual choke and key starting, its really only for rope starting......make sure your choke solenoid is operating correctly. If that checks out describe your cold starting procedure.

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice

Those are the plugs I am using. I have recently installed them and gapped them to .040". The solenoid is working. My starting procedure: 1)squeeze primer bulb till its hard. 2) Lift warm up lever. 3)Turn key to start and also push in to activate choke. At this point the motor fires up easily, starts to run about 3-5 seconds but then fades out quickly and stalls. I then have to start it up to 10 times (with and without choke) until it seems to warm up enough, then the motor runs great when its warm. How long should the choke be held in for? When I first received the motor back after the rebuild last year it seemed to warm up much easier. As it became broken in is when something changed. Thanks in advance for any tips. Steve

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I double checked my original service manual and it says .040"? Would this requirement have changed over the years? Also I think I may have found a problem. When releasing the key to stop the choke, the choke valve at times does not fully open and can remain 1/4 closed. This is due to the piston in the choke solenoid not releasing fully. Seems to be sticking a little. Can the solenoid be cleaned? Thanks in advance.