Lanyard switch blows solenoid fuse on Johnson 90

Capt Tim

Cadet
Hi There,

I have a 1997 Johnson 90. I recently replaced the side mount binnacle to a top mount and moved the ignition harness to installed it on to a center console. Took it out this morning to adjust the cables. Ignition worked fine. I show my brother how the lanyard switch operates by pulling it off the switch. The engine, of course, died. Then after I put the lanyard back on, turned the key to "on", the solenoid fuse blew! Replaced it, turned the key and it blew again. Not sure what the deal is. Can the lanyard switch be bad? Can something be grounded too much? (I know thats a dumb question) Can the lanyard switch be jumped to test?

Thanks in advance!

Capt Tim

Cadet
Re: Lanyard switch blows solenoid fuse on Johnson 90

Hi there, it's yellow with black(?) stripe and the ground.

the other end of the yellow/black is connected to the m terminal on the ignition switch the highest one of the 2 ?

theres always a chance that the fuse blowing has nothing to do with the kill switch but could be something that just happened at the same time. if you have a ohm meter you can test the kill switch the m terminals should be normal open. the fact its still blowing the fuse leads me to either the switch was wired wrong at the ignition switch (you said you moved it) or theres a diffrent problem i would unplug the gagues and test to see if theres still a short. things like steering cable rubbing the back of the gauges or switchs needs to be checked

Capt Tim

Cadet

Thanks! I'll go check that out. That makes sense.

daselbee

Commander

Uh...no....it should be black with a yellow stripe. Not yellow/black. Confused, not the right colors.

thats true it should be black with yellow. thankfully yellow with black stripe is not a standard color for evinrude so as long as its got black and yellow in it then i would have thought thats the wire.

Capt Tim

Cadet

Got it! I had the lead for the gauges going to the fuse block, and for some numbskull reason, I had the gauge ground grouped in with the grounds from the ignition loom. I didn't turn on the gauge switch until the engine was already running. So, the fuse blew while it was running, "killed" it with lanyard, go to restart and there you have it. I knew something wasn't right when I turned on the gauge light switch and the fuel needle shot to the right. Thanks guys! Would have pulled my hair out on this one. Oh, and yeah, it is black/yellow. Not yellow/black. Thanks!