96 Johnson 25 tiller no spark

superbond

Recruit
Hi
I have a 95-96 johnson 25 tiller with electric start.On a fishing trip I was going accross a lake at full throttle when it seemed like I hit something(but I didn't)the motor start running real rough.I made it to shore 1/4 throttle.I got home checked the plugs and one seemed a bit wet but not bad at all. So I bought new plugs put them in and started it up and it ran fine but it had no load on the motor so I took it out on a lake and it worked fine not as peppy but fine.Took my daughter and her friend out and driving fill throttle and it died.Could not get it going at all.talked to a friend who know outboad motor pretty good and I explained it to him and he said it sounds like the power pack. So I bought one and still will not start. It is getting gas,I checked the compression ( 120 and 118) so that good.Tested the spark coming from the plugs and there is nothing! I checked voltage from the new power pack and ther is nothing there either.I don't know outboad motors very good if not at all.I'm thinking maybe the kill switch but I don't know how to disconnect it to bypass it.But thats not my question,my question is "What's wrong with this Motor" Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96 Johnson 25 tiller no spark

Check the kill switch. Just find the wires and disconnect.No doubt someone here knows the color.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Go to the CDI website and look up your engine, use their troubleshooting guide to help you find your problem.

superbond

Recruit

Looking at the motor from the handle. What is that part on the left side that has a bunch of wires screwed to it ?

superbond

Recruit

Go to the CDI website and look up your engine, use their troubleshooting guide to help you find your problem.

Don't mean to sound too simple but what is the full name for this web site

superbond

Recruit

thanks for the web sit.
How would one check spark plugs to see if they are good.I still have no spark. I think it could be the kill switch so I put a wire from the top coil where it is bolted to and bared the other wire at the top back of the motor. I dont really know if that worked because if it did the motor still will not start.As it stands I have No power going to the power pack from what I can determine. Getting frustrated

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? If you have no spark out of the plug wires, don't worry about the plugs, they are not the problem. I don't follow you on the wire at the coil thing. The black/yellow wire is your kill wire, did you disconnect it where it goes into the power pack, what happened when you tried to start the engine?

superbond

Recruit

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? If you have no spark out of the plug wires, don't worry about the plugs, they are not the problem. I don't follow you on the wire at the coil thing. The black/yellow wire is your kill wire, did you disconnect it where it goes into the power pack, what happened when you tried to start the engine?

I had to go out for the afternoon so I just looked up that web site.Thanks for that by the way.I followed the wire from the kill witch to the top coil and the other wire went up to a wire cluster at the top and back of the motor.I have to go to work today and if I have time when I get home I will try what you and the web site says. After that and i I'm still stuck I'm bring it to a smll motor place.I will let you know what happens either way and thank you for your help!