1962 Evinrude Sportwin 10024B Un-known Part Question (HELP)

Brennen

Recruit
Hey guys,

I'm BRAND new to the forum, and to website for the most part, now that I purchased my first boat this week (YAY).

Anyways, the 14' Aluminum boat has a 1962 Evinrude Sportwin and when we took her out for our first voyage, a part on the engine broke while the engine was engaged. I wasn't able to find out what exact part it is that I am missing, but have taken pictures to show and see if someone recognizes the missing part.

motor issue.jpg
*click to enlarge

My guess is that some sort of connector ring broke and fell off. I know very little about small engines but would like to know what is missing so I can find a replacement and get it slapped on there and get back out on the water before the weather begins to get cold.

Any help would be awesome, Thanks!

Brennen

Recruit
Re: 1962 Evinrude Sportwin 10024B Un-known Part Question (HELP)

I appreciate the help guys!

But I do believe that 72 broke because the top part slides right off the bottom part. There is nothing holding the two parts of the motor together. You can slide the top portion right off, and that's exactly what happened when we had it out the other day on the water, luckily however, I was holding the steering handle well enough to keep it from completely falling off while in motion. What sort of repairs am I getting involved in here? Replacing #72 and getting the connecting brackets? Where can I find a used #72? Gathering thoughts here....New to all of this...

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1962 Evinrude Sportwin 10024B Un-known Part Question (HELP)

You have the part numbers you need. Check with some of the salvage yards in the "Top Secret File" sticky at the top of the page, maybe one of them can help you out.